Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Education and learning > Schools > Admissions > ...
Primary school admissions

In year transfers between primary schools

It is important to remember that a transfer from one school to another can be very unsettling for children and for the school.  Important factors that you should consider are friendships, continuity of the curriculum and attendance patterns.

However in certain circumstances it may be necessary for you to consider moving your child to another school. You should always discuss a transfer with your child’s existing school before making a decision.

If you decide that you do want to request a transfer to another school you will need to contact the admissions team who will send a form for you to complete and return. 

Applications will then be processed and where a place can be allocated a letter of allocation will be sent to you. If we are unable to allocate a place you will be offered the right of appeal.

Community primary schools
If we are unable to allocate a place at your preferred school you will be offered the right of appeal. Complete this form and return it as instructed to the admissions team by the date specified on the appeal form. The appeal will be heard within 30 school days of the closing date for appeals by an independent appeal panel arranged locally.

Voluntary aided schools, trust schools and academies
Appeals against refusal of admission to a voluntary aided school, trust school or academy are the responsibility of the governors or academy of that school. Voluntary aided schools and academies are responsible for their own admissions and have their own allocation criteria, which is available from the school.

If your child has a statement of special educational needs
If your child has and educational health and care plan or a statement of special educational need you would need to appeal through the special educational needs and disability tribunal. Please contact special needs staff on 01482 300 300 for further information.

Pupils who move into the city from other areas

Please contact the council’s admissions team to make your request. You will be sent a form to complete and return. On receipt of the returned form the admissions team will process your request.  If you wish to discuss the transfer we also offer a free choice advice service. 

If a place is available for your child, a letter of allocation will be sent to you.  If we are unable to offer a place you will be offered the right of appeal and an appeal form and guidance notes will be sent to you.

If you child has an educational health and care plan or statement of special educational need, the allocation will be decided by the Hull City Council’s special educational needs team. To speak to the team please telephone 01482 300 300.

Contact us

School Admissions Team
Room 128
Aldfred Gelder Street

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017