Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Community and living > Marriages and civil partnerships > [ Marriages ]
Marriages and civil partnerships
 Web links
The couple connection


Marriages in Hull
Find Hull Register Office on Facebook Find Hull Register Office on facebook
Marriages in Hull
Marriages in Hull
If you are planning to get married, here are the steps you need to take to make sure your special day runs as smoothly and successfully as possible.


There are a number of places where you can married -

  • Church of England or Church in Wales
    If you wish to be married in the Church of England or Church in Wales, you should first speak to the Vicar of the parish where you wish to marry.

  • other places of worship
    If you wish to marry in any building used for worship and licensed for marriages, other than the Church of England or Church in Wales, you should contact the person in charge of marriages at the building.

  • a register office
    Hull Register Office can offer ceremonies in our ceremony room at the Guildhall and also at The Wilson Centre

  • an approved premises in Hull
    There are 16 venues in Hull licensed to hold a marriage ceremony. These include prestigious council buildings such as Hull City Hall, hotels and restaurants, and even the world’s only submarium, The Deep.

    Find out more about our approved premises

Giving notice

Before getting married, you must first ‘give notice’ of your intention at the register office in the district in which you live. You are required to have lived in the district for at least eight days before giving notice. A notice fee must be paid at the time of giving notice.

Find out how to give notice

Booking your ceremony

If you are getting married in a register office or approved premises, you will need to agree the date and time for your marriage with both the venue and the registrar who is attending to register and conduct your ceremony.

You do not have to live in Hull to get married in Hull. However if you or your partner live outside of Hull, you will need to contact the registration district in which you live to give notice.

Changes to the law allowing same-sex marriages

The first marriage of a same sex couple can take place on 29th March 2014.  The earliest a same sex couple can give notice of marriage ‘the legal preliminaries to marriage’ is 13 March 2014.

Civil Partnerships remain unchanged; and these will still be available to same sex couples.  Registration officers are unable to advise couples on whether to choose a marriage or civil partnership, as this is really a personal choice.

To opt for a civil marriage you will be required to give notice of your intention to marry.  This is a different type of notice to that in relation to registering a Civil Partnership and as such you must be clear of your intention when attending the appointment with us.  A statutory fee of £35.00 per person is payable when giving notice.  The change in legislation allows us offer same sex marriage notice appointments from 13th March 2014.

Couples who have already have a booking with us and whom have already given notice to register their Civil Partnership are still able to change this booking to have a marriage ceremony, however this will require a separate notice and as such even if you have already given notice for your Civil partnership you will be required to attend to an additional appointment for which a statutory fee of £35.00 per person will be payable. 

In the future couples will be able to convert their existing civil partnership into a marriage, if they wish to do so. It will not be possible to do this from the 29th March, it is anticipated that the change to allow this to happen will be introduced in the later part of 2014.

Hull Registration Service

Hull Registration Service
The Wilson Centre CSC
Hull City Council
Alfred Gelder Street

Telephone: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Opening hours

Monday and Tuesday, 9am - 4.30pm
Wednesday, 11am - 4.30pm
Thursday and Friday, 9am - 4.30pm
Saturday, 10am - 4pm
Sunday, closed

Accessible liftDisabled parkingDisabled toiletHearing loop
Please note the pin on the map is based on the postcode only and may not be placed at the exact location of the building

Search this site for...

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2014

HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 15:14:12 GMT Server: Oracle-Application-Server-10g/ Oracle-HTTP-Server Connection: close Transfer-Encoding: chunked Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1 200 OK


The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, you@your.address and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Oracle-Application-Server-10g/ Oracle-HTTP-Server Server at Port 7777