Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Council housing > [ Council housing rent ]
Council housing
Managing rent arrears 
 See also
Debt and money - help and advice
Housing and council tax benefit
 Web links
HM Revenue and Customs
National Debtline

Council housing rent

One of your responsibilities as a council tenant is to pay your rent on time each week. If you miss your rent payments you are breaching the conditions of your tenancy agreement and we can take legal action against you which may result in you losing your home.

Paying your rent

You can pay your rent in a number of quick and convenient ways.

Find out more about how to pay your council housing rent

We can give you help and support if you need to claim housing benefits. We can also help you to get advice about other welfare benefits and managing debt issues.

Pay to stay - new legislation update

On Monday 21 November the government announced that it no longer plans to make Pay to Stay compulsory for local authorities. This means we do not have to charge higher rents to council tenants whose household income is more than £31,000.

Rent arrears

If you fall into arrears with your rent, we will work with you to help you manage your rent arrears by agreeing an affordable arrangement so that you can make up missed payments.

More information on managing your rent arrears

Rent is charged over 50 weeks with two charge free weeks over the Christmas period. If tenants are in arrears with their rent we ask that they continue to pay their rent over the Christmas period along with any arrangements they have made to reduce their arrears. This could reduce the arrears by a substantial amount.

It is very difficult for us to maintain and provide high quality housing services if there are high levels of rent arrears so it is in our interests, as well as yours, to ensure that payments can be made.

What your rent pays for

The rent you pay is invested back into housing services such as repairs, caretaking, and cleaning. Your rent also covers the cost of a housing service at local offices, and pays loans we have taken out to improve properties.

Rent statements

All council tenants are sent a quarterly rent statement along with a leaflet giving information on the service's performance in the collection of rent and recovery of arrears. The rent statement includes the outstanding balances on any other accounts you may hold which relate your rent account.

Contact us

Housing Services
Hull City Council
Alfred Gelder Street

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017