Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Business rates > [ Rateable value ]
Business rates
 Web links
Valuation Office

Rateable value of your business

Premises that are subject to business rates are given a rateable value by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA). We use the VOA's assessment of your property's rateable value to calculate your business rates bill. The rateable value of your property can be found on the VOA website or at your local valuation office.

Visit the VOA website to check your rateable value (link opens in a new window)

The address of your local valuation office is -

Hull Valuation Office
Earle House
Colonial Street

Tel: 03000 501 501

Business rate liability

If a property is being used by a person, partnership or company, then they will be responsible for paying the business rates. These are known as the liable person.

If more than one business or liable person occupies your property, and you believe you are not solely liable please contact us at the council on 01482 300 301 or email and we will advise you what to do next.

Please be aware that if two or more people are trading as a partnership, the Valuation Office will not be required to make any changes to the rating list.

If the Valuation Office decides the property can be split, they will then give a rateable value for each individual part of the property. If the Valuation Office decides the property cannot be split between the occupiers, then the owner will be responsible for the rates.

Revaluation of your rateable value

Rateable values are reviewed every five years - this is called a revaluation. You can check your latest revaluation on the VOA website.

On 30 September 2016 the Valuation Office will be publishing over 1.9 million draft rateable values online. These figures will take effect from 1 April 2017.

Check the details of your 2010 revaluation on the VOA website (link opens in a new window)

Check the details of your 2017 revaluation on the VOA website (link opens in a new window)

If your property has changed since the last revaluation (for example, if your property has been altered), you must contact the Hull Valuation Office to have your property reassessed. If you do not advise the VOA and they become aware of an alteration, you can be held liable for a backdated increase in business rates even if you have ceased to have an involvement with the property, or you might miss out on any prospective decrease in the business rate should the valuation go down.

Appeals against your rateable value

You will be able to review your draft valuation online and tell the VOA if any details are incorrect before your business rate bill from 1 April 2017 is calculated.

You can appeal against the value shown in the latest list if you believe it is wrong.  Appeals are dealt with at the Hull Valuation Office. You should not stop paying your business rates if you make an appeal against your rateable value.

If your appeal is successful, your rateable value will be changed from either the date of the change in value, or the beginning of the financial year in which the appeal was made (whichever date is the earliest).

Please note, the government has announced there will be limits on the backdating of changes to rating assessments with effect from 1 April 2015. If the Valuation Office Agency receive your appeal on or after 1 April 2015 then the earliest they can back date any changes is that date.

Rating advisers

Ratepayers do not have to be represented in discussions about their rateable value or their rates bill. Appeals against rateable values can be made free of charge. However, ratepayers who do wish to be represented should be aware that members of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors and the Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation are qualified and are regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct. Before you employ a rating adviser, you should check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise, as well as appropriate indemnity insurance. Take great care and, if necessary, seek further advice before entering into any contract.

Visit the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) website (link opens in a new window)

Visit the Institute of Revenues, Rating and Valuation (IRRV) website (link opens in a new window)


Contact us

Local Taxation
Hull City Council
PO Box 15

Tel: 01482 300 301
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 613 562

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017