Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Planning > Current planning applications > [ Application forms ]
Current planning applications
 See also
Amendments to planning permissions
Planning application fees
Strategic flood risk assessment (SFRA)

Planning application forms

We now use 1 APP forms which is a standardised form that helps to make sure the same information is collected by planning authorities across the country for comparable requests. This is to eliminate inconsistencies in the planning process.

You can download the forms on this page or get them from -

Development control
Hull City Council
The Guildhall
Alfred Gelder Street

or by telephoning 01482 300 300.

The forms can also be submitted online via the planning portal.

Access the planning portal (link opens in a new window)

If you need any additional help or are unsure whether your project requires consent you can contact us for advice.

Do I need planning permission?

Design and access statements

A Design and Access Statement (DAS) is required with planning applications for -

(a) development which is major development;
(b) where any part of the development is in a Conservation Area, development consisting of—
     (i) the provision of one or more dwellinghouses; or
     (ii) the provision of a building or buildings where the floor space created by the development
          is 100 square metres or more.

Listed building consent applications must also include a Design and Access Statement and a Heritage Statement.

A DAS statement is a short report accompanying and supporting a planning application. They provide a framework for applicants to explain how a proposed development is a suitable response to the site and its setting, and demonstrate that it can be adequately accessed by prospective users.

Validation checklist

There are various forms and plans that are necessary to make to valid planning application. Please read the downloadable validation checklist document - this will help you to submit the required information for a valid application. Please note that this is a revised list, in effect from 1 September 2015; for example there are now more requirements regarding plan standards.

Applications received after that date which do not meet these requirements will be treated as invalid.

Flood risk

Depending on the type of application and the location, a flood risk assessment may be required. Please examine the strategic flood risk assessment (SFRA) map below (Fig. 10.3) to identify which zone or zones your site is located within.

More information on the strategic flood risk assesment

Fig 10.3 of the SFRA
Figure 10.3 assesses all the risks of flooding across the city. It combines these risks to produce a map showing six categories of risk from all sources of flooding. This map also shows the boundaries of the area action plans across the city and will be used by us and developers to undertake the sequential and exception tests (for guidance on these tests please see SFRA recommendations 15 and 18 and appendix C - more information on the SFRA).

Once you have identified the flood risk area you should then refer to the standing advice on development and flood risk within Hull PDF document below, to identify the necessary measures to offset flood risk.  Further advice about flood risk can be obtained from planning officers.

Contamination assessment

The council wants to encourage the redevelopment of previously used land (brownfield land). However, because of the potential risk of contamination associated with such land there are a number of requirements that must be fulfilled by the developer to ensure that there is no danger to human health or the environment. Put simply, the land must be suitable for use.

In order to assess whether a development is suitable for use, the Local Planning Authority must be satisfied that there is no unacceptable risk from contamination. Certain types of applications require a preliminary assessment of land contamination to be completed as part of the validation process, for example new housing (see the validation checklist, availble to download above, for more information).

If a preliminary assessment is required, please complete and return the preliminary assessment of land contamination form, available to download below -

Additional guidance for development on land affected by contamination is also available to download below -

Unilateral Undertakings

Planning applications for new dwellings in Hull are expected to provide open space, play space and recycling facilities on site. Where this is not possible off-site provision can be made, via a legal agreement. Normally, before any such application can be approved the completed Legal Agreement must be in place. Below is a ‘template’ that will assist in preparing such an agreement, you are advised to seek legal advice in this matter.

Planning forms

The Notice No. 1 PDF below is for use with certificate B, C, D and Agricultural Holding Certificate No. 2. This needs to be sent to -

  • anyone other than the applicant who owns any or all of the site
  • anyone who is a tenant of an agricultural holding which forms all or part of the site

Guidance notes

Application for listed building consent

Certain buildings, which are considered by the government to be of architectural and historic interest, have been placed on a statutory list, which gives them a greater degree of protection than other buildings. They are known as 'listed buildings'. A copy of this statutory list is available for consultation at the planning development control section. If you intend to do any work for the demolition or part demolition of a Listed Building or for its alteration or extension in any way which would affect its character, you will need to apply to us for listed building consent for the proposed works.

Please note, at least five copies of this form will be required.

PDF Icon Hazardous subs form (size: 800.4 Kb)
(link opens in new window)

Consent to display an advertisement

Consent is needed before a wide range of signs of advertisements are displayed, but not all signs need formal approval.

Notification of a proposed larger Home Extension

In May 2013, legislation was introduced to allow longer single storey rear extensions on houses.  For a period of three years, between 30 May 2013 and 30 May 2016, householders will be able to build larger single-storey rear extensions under permitted development.

The size limits will double from four metres to eight metres for detached houses, and from three metres to six metres for all other houses.
These new larger extensions (i.e. if they extend between four and eight metres, or between three and six metres) must go through a notification process. 

Use the forms below to notify the City Council of this type of proposal. 

Contact us

Development control
Hull City Council
The Guildhall
Alfred Gelder Street

Tel: 01482 300 300

The reception is open to the public Monday to Thursday 8.30am - 5pm and Fridays 8.30am - 4.30pm.

For specific planning applications it is best to contact the planning officer allocated to the case. This can be found in the weekly lists  of planning applications or from letters sent to you by the section. If you wish to speak to a specific officer it is advisable to phone for an appointment.

Access the planning applications weekly lists

Customers who wish to see a planning officer must make an appointment first otherwise we cannot guarantee an officer being available.

Planning officers can be contacted by phone, letter or email

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017