Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Planning > [ Building regulations ]
Application forms 
Building control 
Building control fees 
Contact us 
Exempt building work 
Links and addresses 
 See also
Apply online for building regulations
 Web links
Planning portal
Home Warranty

Building regulations

Charges scheme

In accordance with the requirements of the Building (Local Authority Charges) Regulations 2010, Hull City Council gave notice of its intention to replace their existing charge scheme with a new scheme which was introduced on Monday 1 June 2015.

The 2014 - 2015 statement of accounts is also included in the charges scheme. A hard copy of the complete charges scheme is available from the Building Control Manager, please telephone 01482 300 300 for details.

If you would like to discuss the new scheme in more detail, or have any comments regarding building control, please contact the Building Control Manager on 01482 300 300.

Access the Hull Building Control Prospectus (link opens in a new window)

Access the guide to extending your home (link opens in a new window)

Apply for building regulations online

You can now submit your building regulations applications simply and quickly online. All types of applications, including regularisation and building notices, can be submitted online.

All correspondence can be dealt with electronically if required, and there is no need to print off drawings.

To find out more about our new service or if you would like us to visit your local offices to provide one to one training on the new software, please contact us on 01482 300 300 or email

Apply for building regulations online (link opens in a new window)

Please note the fee schedule on the online plan submission software is currently incorrect. The software will be updated as soon as possible with the fees which came into effect from 1 June 2015. We apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Access a copy of the current charges effective from 1 June 2015

Construction health and safety

If you are having any construction or refurbishment work done, you may need to contact a health and safety executive (HSE).

Find out more about construction health and safety (link opens in a new window)

Building regulation standards

Building regulations apply to all building work in England and Wales. They are the set standards for the design and construction of buildings to ensure the health and safety of people using or living near those buildings.

They also include requirements to ensure that fuel and power is conserved and facilities are provided so everyone can access and move around inside any public building.

We are responsible for administering and enforcing the building regulations within the city boundaries, and we also have responsibility for enforcing the provisions of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 to the regulated parts of a sports stadium.

Information about Hull's planning guide (link opens in a new window)

What the building regulations cover

Building Regulations cover aspects associated with buildings such as -

  • structural safety
  • fire safety
  • weather and damp protection
  • sound insulation
  • ventilation
  • hygiene
  • drainage
  • combustion appliances
  • stairs and ramps
  • thermal performance
  • access for people with disabilities
  • glazing safety
  • electrical safety in dwellings

Applying for approval

There are two methods of applying for building regulations approval. These are -

  • full plans approval submission
  • building notice application

Full plans approval

This method involves submitting information to the council to allow it to ensure that work complies with building regulations. This information includes -

  • fully detailed plans
  • specifications
  • calculations
  • other detailed supporting information

Full plans application form

Building notice application

The building notice method does not normally involve submitting detailed plans. It is more suitable for small building works. In some cases though it is necessary to provide some plans and detail to allow the council to carry out the required checks. This type of approval is less formal. But it is important that the builder works closely with their appointed building control officer. This is to reduce the chance of any work being carried out that does not comply with the regulations.

Building notice application form


When building work has been carried out without the above procedures being followed, property owners should apply for a Regularisation Certificate. Before a certificate is issued, the council must be reasonably satisfied that -

  • the works conform to the building regulations
  • there is no risk to the health and safety of people in or around the property

Further information

More information on the building regulations and general advice on how they apply to various types of common building work is available on the website below.

Visit the Planning Portal website (link opens in a new window)

Demolition and dangerous structures

All enquiries relating to building demolition and dangerous structures should be directed to the structural engineering section on 01482 300 300 or for dangerous structures Civic One can also be contacted if it is out of hours on 01482 616720 (24 hour line).

Contact us

Hull Building Control
Hull City Council
2nd Floor
Alfred Gelder Street

Tel: 01482 300 300
Textphone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017