Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Housing benefit, council tax reduction > [ Student claims ]
Housing benefit, council tax reduction
 Web links
Student finance - DirectGov

Student claims

If you are a student and need help to pay your rent and/or council tax, you may be able to claim housing and council tax benefit.

More information about housing benefit
More information about council tax benefit
Find out how to apply for housing and council tax benefit

Who can claim

You may be able to claim if you -

  • receive income support/jobseekers allowance
  • are a part-time student (16 hours or less of guided learning)
  • are a student under 19 in further education
  • are a student under 20 for whom child benefit is payable
  • are a student couple with dependant children
  • are a lone parent/foster parent of a child under 18
  • satisfy the conditions for disability premium/severe disability premium
  • receive a disabled students allowance due to deafness
  • have been incapable of work for 28 weeks
  • are of pension age or whose partner is of pension age 
  • have a non-student partner (your non-student partner must make the claim)
  • are waiting to return to a course, having taken approved time out due to illness/caring responsibilities that have now ended


Who cannot claim

Even if you are listed in one of the categories above, you will not be able to claim if you live in -

  • your parents’ home
  • halls of residence or other accommodation where you pay the rent to the educational establishment you attend (however, you can claim when you are not studying, for example during the summer holidays).

What is not included as rent

For most students, housing benefit is worked out by looking at the actual rent after the following have been taken off -

  • charges for food
  • charges for heating, hot water, cooking and lighting
  • any optional services included in your rent (for example, TV hire, personal laundry and so on)

If you rent your home from a private landlord, we may not be able to use your full rent to calculate housing benefit and you may get less benefit.

Find out how to apply for housing and council tax benefit

Contact us

Hull City Council Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 15

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017