Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Housing benefit, council tax reduction > [ Self employment claims ]
Housing benefit, council tax reduction

How your income will be assessed

To assess your average weekly income after tax and national insurance we will consider -

  • your business related income and expenses and any pension contributions
  • your savings
  • your partner’s income
  • income from any other source

Whether you are already receiving or are applying for housing benefit and/or a council tax reduction, for us to calculate your average weekly income, you will need to -

If you have been trading for less than 6 months (less than 26 weeks)

  • complete a self employed income and expenses form

If you have been trading for 6 -12 months (26 – 52 weeks)

  • complete an Income and Expenses form covering the full period you have been trading

If you have been trading for more than 1 year (52 weeks or more)

  • complete an Income and Expenses form covering your last 52 weeks of trading.

If you have more than 1 business, you will have to complete the appropriate form for each business.

Forms are also available from any Hull City Council Customer Service centre.

Important – You may have to supply proofs of your business receipts and expenses, we will write to you if this information is needed. For example -

  • day books
  • petrol receipts
  • invoices
  • certified accounts and so on.

Please ensure that you keep all of your documentation in case we need to see it.

Self employed childminders

If you are a self-employed childminder you will not need to submit your business expenses with your housing and council tax benefit claim. When we calculate your entitlement to benefit, we will automatically disregard one third of your income amount to allow for payment of income tax, national insurance and half of any applicable pension payments.

More information about housing benefit

More information about council tax reduction

Find out how to apply for housing benefit and council tax reduction

Contact us

Hull City Council Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 15

Tel: 01482 300 303
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017