Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Housing benefit, council tax reduction > Landlord information > ...
Landlord information

Rights of appeal 

There are occasions when you will be able to ask us to reconsider a decision, however, not all decisions carry the independent right of appeal. We are able to reconsider -

  • the decision about who we pay Housing Benefit to
  • whether an overpayment is recoverable from you
  • the amount, period and reason for the overpayment

Decisions on Housing Benefit mostly concern the claimant - they are normally the person affected by our decision. They have a greater range of decisions that they can dispute.

Decisions the claimant can dispute, but you cannot, are - 

  • the start of a claim
  • the level of the award of Housing Benefit
  • the maximum rent set by the Rent Service
  • the discretion that we have to recover an overpayment
  • any award of Discretionary Housing Payment
  • the income and capital used in the calculation of the claimant's award

Time limits

It is important that we receive your written request for a revision or appeal within one calendar month from the date of notification of the decision made.

Statement of reasons

If you would like a detailed explanation of our decision, you can request a written statement of reasons.
The Tenant's rights of appeal

If your tenant is unhappy with the decision they can - 

  • ask verbally for an explanation or request the council to reconsider it
  • ask for a written statement of reason (how the decision was made)
  • appeal against it

If a written statement of reason or if an appeal is made you must request this in writing, giving the reasons for the appeal.

Good Cause Backdate

A good cause backdate request must be in writing and signed by the tenant, explaining why he/she believes they have good cause why their claim for benefit was late.

If the tenant wishes for a representative to write the statement, the tenant still needs to countersign it. The tenant must supply evidence and information as to the delay of the claim so we may make a determination as to whether we can allow a backdate.

If the backdate is disallowed, the tenant may appeal in writing against the decision within one calendar month of the notification of the decision.

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017