Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Housing benefit, council tax reduction > Landlord information > ...
Landlord information


If you are a hostel in Hull and your tenant has a low income, they can claim housing benefit to cover the cost of their rent from the first night of their stay.

If you are a new hostel, please contact us to arrange an appointment to meet with the hostels team.

When you get a new tenant

To claim housing benefit for a tenant you will need to -

  • ask your tenant to complete a housing benefit application form

    Find out how to apply for housing benefit

  • obtain proof of your tenant’s identification and National Insurance number. You do not need to supply this until the 13th week of your tenant’s stay, however we recommend that you obtain this information at the beginning of the application process to reduce the risk of a break in claim.

  • provide a weekly schedule to confirm which flats or rooms are occupied and who occupies them. This enables the claim to be paid more quickly and avoids unnecessary overpayments.


Contact us

Hull City Council Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 128

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017