Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Housing benefit, council tax reduction > Landlord information > ...
Landlord information

Landlords' decisions and payments

We can only make a decision on a new claim if it is ‘duly made’. To be ‘duly made’ a claim must be -

  • fully complete
  • signed by the claimant and partner in the case of couples and
  • submitted with all the relevant and current documentary evidence and information requested.

If a tenant is receiving housing benefit prior to moving into your property, the change of address has to be treated as a change in circumstance. A decision cannot be made about the tenant's entitlement for their new address until evidence of their new rental liability and a rent officer valuation has been received.

If the tenant has had any other changes in circumstance, supporting evidence must be provided before a decision can be made.


Payment is legally due to the person who claims it, but it can be paid to someone else at their request. It will normally be paid to a landlord if -

  • the tenant requests it in writing
  • the tenant has left the property owing rent arrears. This amount could be restricted and may not necessarily be the full amount owed
  • the tenant has rent arrears of 8 weeks or more
  • the council believes it is in the best interest of the tenant

Once a claim has been assessed, your tenant will be notified of their entitlement in writing.

If your tenant has requested payments directly to yourselves, you will also receive notification letters. The Housing Benefit section will also try to contact you direct by telephone, fax or email when a claim has been assessed, to tell you your tenant's entitlement.

You will also be contacted and notified of any change in circumstances that affect your tenant's entitlement and if your tenant's claim has been cancelled.

Direct Payment Agreements (DPA)

All housing benefit payments made to landlords or agents are paid by automated credit transfer (BACS).

You will need to complete a direct payment agreement if you are a landlord or agent and wish to have housing benefit payments paid directly to you.

If you are currently receiving payments from us, you will only need to complete a new DPA form under the following circumstances -

  • your company changes from a Trading Company to a Limited Company
  • you transfer from joint to single ownership

You should notify us immediately in writing of any other change in your circumstances, for example -

  • change of address
  • change of bank account details
  • change of trading company name
  • you no longer wish to receive payments

Please note that payments can only be made directly to the landlord or agent if indicated by the claimant to do so.

Please note, failure to complete a DPA form or notify changes in writing may result in delay or non-payment of any housing benefit that is awarded.

You can download a landlord direct payment agreement form -

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017