Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Housing benefit, council tax reduction > Landlord information > ...
Landlord information

Changes of circumstances for landlords

If your tenant is receiving housing benefit and has a change of circumstances you should report it to us. You may be liable to repay any overpayments resulting in a delay of this information.

You must tell us if -

  • your tenant starts to make rental payments themselves
  • the rent amount changes
  • someone who is already receiving housing benefit moves into your property
  • anyone moves in to or out of the property (including lodgers and subtenants)
  • your tenant(s) move home
  • your tenant(s) are away from the property for more than one month
  • your tenant receives any decision from the Home Office
  • anything we have been told previously changes

How to report a change of circumstances

You can report any change of circumstances by sending a letter to the freepost address below or emailing

When you may be held liable

If your tenant's benefit entitlement is paid directly to you and you do not report a change in your tenant’s circumstances you could be held liable for any subsequent overpayment.

If your tenant receives the payment directly, it is their responsibility to tell us of a change of circumstances. However, if you are aware of a change that may affect your tenant’s housing benefit you should tell us as any change that is not reported within one month of it occurring cannot be backdated. So if the change means your tenant receives an increase in entitlement, it will only be paid from the date it was reported.

Contact us

Hull City Council Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 128

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017