Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Housing benefit, council tax reduction > [ Proofs to support a claim ]
Housing benefit, council tax reduction

Proofs to support an application

If you are applying for housing benefit and a council tax reduction we need to proofs to verify your application, or any changes, before a decision can be made.

How to provide proofs

You can -

  • visit one of our customer service centres or information points, where a member of staff can photocopy your proofs and return the originals to you

    Find your nearest customer service centre
    Find your nearest information point

  • send your proofs to us using the freepost address at the bottom of the page. Please do not send any valuable documents such as driving licences through the post

  • request a home visit by telephoning 01482 300 300, where a visiting officer can look at and verify the proofs for you

Proofs required

The proofs (explained in more detail below) that we require are -

  • identity and national insurance
  • household member details
  • household income
  • capital and savings
  • rental liability

You can also help us to process your application more quickly by giving us permission to share information with your landlord.

Identity and national insurance

If you have not applied for housing benefit and a council tax reduction before, you need to provide two documents for you and two for your partner (if you have one). These can both be from list A or one from list A and one from list B.

List A - Proof of national insurance

  • letter from Department for Work and Pensions stating the money you currently get
  • wage slip
  • occupational pension slip
  • P45 or P60 (current employment year only)
  • tax letter or tax code notice
  • national insurance number

List B - Proof of identity

  • passport (current and valid)
  • driving licence
  • bank statement (covering last two months immediately prior to claim)
  • recent utility bill that has been paid
  • letter from solicitor, social worker, probation officer, doctor or inland revenue
  • birth certificate
  • marriage certificate
  • divorce papers
  • medical card
  • Home Office letter
  • UK residence permit

Household member details

You need to inform us of all the people who live in your household, including dates of birth and any income you and they receive.

You need to inform us if someone moves in or out of your household, with the date they moved and where they have moved either from or to. 

Household income

You must supply proof of all your and your household’s income. You do not need to provide proof of your income or savings if you are receiving -

  • income support
  • income based jobseekers allowance
  • pension guaranteed credit
  • income related employment and support allowance

but you still need to for any other adults in your household.

If you are employed and are paid -

  • weekly - you must provide your last five wage slips
  • every two weeks - you must provide your last three wage slips
  • monthly - you must provide your last two wage slips

Alternatively, you can ask your employer to complete the earnings form available to download below.

Your payslips must show -

  • the name and address of the employer
  • number of hours worked and over what period
  • gross income for the year to date or period covered
  • income tax deducted for the year to date or period covered
  • national insurance contributions deducted for the year to date or period covered
  • occupational pension or personal pension contributions made by the employee
  • method of payment

If you are self employed you have to provide full and recent accounts. If you cannot provide these, or have only recently become self employed, please contact 01482 300 303 for further advice.

Find out more about self employment and benefits

If you receive any -

  • state benefits, we need to see your written notification letter showing the amount you receive
  • other income you need to provide proof of the amount you receive

Capital and savings

We need to see eight weeks or two full months bank statements for all your accounts, passbooks or certificates showing all your savings and investments and how they are invested.

Rental liability

If you are renting a council, housing association or hostel property, we do not require proof of rent from yourself as we are able to obtain that information.

For private tenancies a tenancy agreement or rent book is required as proof. If you do not have these you can ask your landlord to complete a landlord rent declaration. This form is available -

  • to download below
  • from any customer service centre
  • by telephoning us on 01482 300 303 for one to be posted to you

If you do not have proof of all your details do not delay in returning your form or telling us about your or your household’s change in circumstances. We will use your proofs to check your application and make sure you are getting all the help you are entitled to.

Sharing information with your landlord

Sharing information with your private landlord or their agent could help us to deal with your housing benefit application more quickly and reduce the risk of you falling behind with your rent.

The law requires that we inform your landlord or agent of certain decisions we make about your housing benefit, for example, when a decision is made to pay your housing benefit to your landlord or agent. Under the Data Protection Act 1998 we need your permission to discuss anything else.

If you give us permission we can tell your landlord if -

  • you have applied for or are receiving housing benefit
  • we have made a decision
  • we need more information to make a decision and what that information might be

We will not give your landlord any information about -

  • your personal or household circumstances
  • your financial circumstances

Complete the form below to give us your permission to share information with your landlord. You can withdraw your permission at any time by contacting the benefits service.

Contact us

Hull City Council Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 15

Tel: 01482 300 303
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017