The proofs (explained in more detail below) that we require are -
- identity and national insurance
- household member details
- household income
- capital and savings
- rental liability
You can also help us to process your application more quickly by giving us permission to share information with your landlord.
Identity and national insurance
If you have not applied for housing benefit and a council tax reduction before, you need to provide two documents for you and two for your partner (if you have one). These can both be from list A or one from list A and one from list B.
List A - Proof of national insurance
- letter from Department for Work and Pensions stating the money you currently get
- wage slip
- occupational pension slip
- P45 or P60 (current employment year only)
- tax letter or tax code notice
- national insurance number
List B - Proof of identity
- passport (current and valid)
- driving licence
- bank statement (covering last two months immediately prior to claim)
- recent utility bill that has been paid
- letter from solicitor, social worker, probation officer, doctor or inland revenue
- birth certificate
- marriage certificate
- divorce papers
- medical card
- Home Office letter
- UK residence permit
Household member details
You need to inform us of all the people who live in your household, including dates of birth and any income you and they receive.
You need to inform us if someone moves in or out of your household, with the date they moved and where they have moved either from or to.
You must supply proof of all your and your household’s income. You do not need to provide proof of your income or savings if you are receiving -
- income support
- income based jobseekers allowance
- pension guaranteed credit
- income related employment and support allowance
but you still need to for any other adults in your household.
If you are employed and are paid -
- weekly - you must provide your last five wage slips
- every two weeks - you must provide your last three wage slips
- monthly - you must provide your last two wage slips
Alternatively, you can ask your employer to complete the earnings form available to download below.