Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Housing benefit, council tax reduction > [ Backdated payments ]
Housing benefit, council tax reduction

Backdated payments

Payments of housing benefit normally start from the Monday after you make a claim. If you want your benefit to start earlier than the date from which you have claimed, you may request a ‘backdate’ of benefit as follows -

  • if you are under pension age for a maximum of six months
  • if you are of pension age for a maximum of three months

You must make your request for backdated payment in writing or on your benefit claim form. Your request should -

  • show the date that you want your benefit to start from
  • give as much detail as possible stating the reasons why you did not claim earlier
  • include any supporting evidences for example a doctor’s letter

A decision will be made based on your own individual circumstances.

You can hand deliver your request to any customer service centre or information point or post it to our freepost address.

Contact us

Hull City Council Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 15

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017