Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Council housing > Tenant participation > ...
Tenant participation
TARA directory 
 Web links
Facebook - tenant participation page

Tenants’ and residents’ associations (TARAs)

Tenants’ and residents' associations are made up of local people acting in a voluntary capacity to promote the interests of tenants and residents in their area.

There are currently 9 TARAs in Hull. Their contact details can be found in the TARA directory.

View the TARA directory

If a group wants to be formally recognised and share in local decision making it has to meet certain standards. These standards are known as the Recognition Criteria and mean that a group must -

  • have an approved, written constitution (including a map of the area covered)
  • have an equal opportunities policy (every year a representative of the committee must attend an equality and diversity training course and the group must complete an evaluation form assessing their progress)
  • hold annual elections to committee roles
  • provide open financial records to account for all money received from us and any other public resources
  • hold regular meetings (minimum of one annual general meeting, one public meeting and four committee meetings)
  • publicise activities
  • make membership clearly open to all
  • provide regular newsletters (at least two newsletters per year)
  • demonstrate that the group is meeting its aims and objectives
  • invite the tenant participation team to any AGM or public meeting

Some groups may not want to be a recognised TARA, preferring something more informal. We will listen to the views of all groups but we cannot grant the same degree of influence to your group if it is not working to these standards.

Funding for recognised TARAs

We provide funding to TARAs to help with the cost of setting up and running their groups. Recognised TARAs can apply for the following grants by completing our funding application form. A downloadable PDF application form is available below, or contact the Tenant Participation Team on 01482 300 300 for a printed version.

A one-off start up grant of £150
Start up grants must be spent in accordance with the conditions on the application form and a record must be kept of all expenditure along with receipts. The Tenant Participation Team can provide help, information and training on this. Contact them on 01482 300 300.

Annual support grants
Annual support grants are available to help with general running costs such as postage, telephone charges and stationery. Annual support grants must be spent in accordance with the conditions outlined on the application form and a record must be kept of all expenditure along with receipts. The Tenant Participation Team can provide help, information and training on this. Contact them on 01482 300 300.

When a group first applies for a support grant, we will need evidence of how their start-up grant was spent.
If a group already receives funding for general running costs from another source, it will not be eligible to apply for a support grant from us. Groups can contact the Tenant Participation Team on 01482 300 300 if they would like information on other sources of financial assistance.

The amount of annual funding available for recognised TARAs depends on the number of council homes they represent.

Total number of council homes Yearly grants
10 to 200 Up to £300
201 to 750 Up to £450
750 + Up to £550

Where they have not spent their annual grant, any remaining funds over £50 will be deducted from the following year’s allocation.

Additional support grants for IT equipment (up to £800)
Groups can apply for an additional support grant to buy a computer or printer to help with their work.

Additional support funding
Additional support funding is available to groups experiencing financial difficulties or to groups who have had to go through a large consultation exercise. Each application will be dealt with on an individual basis.

All grants are paid directly into a group's bank account.

Other support we provide

Until your group receives its start up grant, we can provide practical advice and support by -

  • organising venues
  • providing photocopying and basic stationary
  • providing guidance on banking arrangements
  • helping you write your constitution
  • helping design leaflets and posters
  • offering a number of training courses to aid your development
  • inviting guest speakers to your meetings
  • arranging for you to watch a current group working to see how meetings are run

Once your group has received its start up grant, we can help you by -

  • providing advice and support on a range of issues
  • co-ordinating training courses to meet your group’s needs
  • inviting guest speakers to your meetings

Obtaining a property for your TARA

From time to time we may have empty houses which could be adapted by TARAs for use as offices/drop-ins.
To get the use of an empty property a group would need to -

  • be properly constituted and representative of local people
  • have the support of the local housing manager/area housing board for the activities they want to carry out
  • be willing to enter into a formal licence agreement or lease for the property, taking responsibility for rent, internal repairs, fuel bills and rates
  • be able to get planning permission for the use of the property as an office or community use and have the money available to carry out any building work to make it suitable

Sometimes it is possible to use a property rent free for this purpose. A group wanting a rent free property needs to apply to their local housing manager. For more information about applying for a property to use for your TARA please call 01482 300 300.

Contact us

Tenant participation team
Hull City Council
Alfred Gelder Street

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017