Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Community and living > Marriages and civil partnerships > [ Civil partnerships ]
Marriages and civil partnerships

Civil Partnership

Civil partnerships
Find Hull Register Office on Facebook Find Hull Register Office on facebook
Civil partnerships
Civil partnership
If you are a same sex couple and wish to formalise your relationship, you can do this by either registering a civil partnership or a marriage. A civil partnership enables same sex couples to become next of kin to one another and have the same rights and privileges awarded to married couples.

From 29 March 2014, the law has allowed for marriage ceremonies for same sex couples. Civil partnerships remain following this change and are still available as an option to same sex couples.

From 10 December 2014, the law will be further changed to giving all those in a civil partnership the option to convert this to a marriage if they choose to.

Find out more about converting your civil partnership into marriage

Registration officers are unable to advise couples on whether to choose a marriage or civil partnership, or if they should convert their existing registration, this is really a personal choice.

Who can register a civil partnership

If you wish to enter a civil partnership, you and your partner must be -

  • of the same sex
  • not already in a civil partnership or lawful marriage
  • not closely related to one another such as parent, brother, nephew or uncle
  • aged 18 or over (or provide consent if aged 16 or 17)

If one or both parties do not hold British or EU citizenship, you must seek Home Office approval before giving notice.

Giving notice

Before registering your civil partnership, you must first ‘give notice’ of your intention at the register office in the district in which you live. You are required to have lived in the district for at least eight days before giving notice. A notice fee must be paid at the time of giving notice. A civil partnership notice is different to a marriage notice and as such couples must be clear of their intention when attending an appointment.

Find out how to giving notice


You can form a civil partnerships at Hull register office or any of our approved licensed premises.

Find out more about approved venues in Hull

Civil partnership registrations may be a short signing (with no speaking or formal ceremony), a small dignified ceremony or a longer ceremony including promises, a reading and music of your choice (by prior arrangement).

The only legal requirement is that the couple attend before an authorised civil partnership officer and sign the registration in the presence of two witnesses. Partnerships can only be formed between the hours of 8am and 6pm (the same applies to marriages).

Find out the fees for registration in Hull Register Office or at an approved venue

Hull Registration Service

Hull Registration Service
The Wilson Centre CSC
Hull City Council
Alfred Gelder Street

Telephone: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Opening hours

Monday and Tuesday, 9am - 4.30pm
Wednesday, 10.30am - 4.30pm
Thursday and Friday, 9am - 4.30pm
Saturday, 10am - 1pm
Sunday, closed

Accessible liftDisabled parkingDisabled toiletHearing loop
Please note the pin on the map is based on the postcode only and may not be placed at the exact location of the building

Converting a civil partnership to marriage

Couples who have already registered their civil partnership and whom wish to convert this registration to a marriage won't be required to give notice. To complete a conversion both parties will be required to attend together an appointment at the Register Office, providing evidence of identity and original civil partnership registration. After confirming that the partnership has not been dissolved a conversion will be registered and a new certificate issued. A celebratory ceremony will be available for couples who want to commemorate this conversion with a ceremony. 
No fee will apply in the first year for conversion appointments for couples who registered a civil partnership before they had opportunity to marry, for example who registered a civil partnership before 29 March 2014 and who want to convert this to a marriage.

Couples who meet this no fee criteria will not be charged for a conversion if this is registered between the 10 December 2014 and 9 December 2015, a full fee will be applicable from 10 December 2015

For couples who entered into a civil partnership after 29 March 2014, or any couples who register one in the future and subsequently want to convert this to a marriage a full fee will be applicable.

The full fee for conversion at a Register Office will be £45.

An additional fee will apply in special circumstances and if a celebratory ceremony is required. 

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017