Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Housing grants and loans > [ Disabled facilities grants ]
Housing grants and loans
 See also
Sensory impairment

Disabled facilities grants

If you or someone that you live with has a disability, you may be eligible to receive financial assistance to pay for adaptations to your home. To qualify, the person for whom the adaptations are being considered must –

  • have substantially impaired sight, hearing or speech
  • have mental health issues
  • be substantially physically disabled by illness, injury or impairment

Adaptations can help you live more independently and can improve access into or around your home. They include things such as -

  • ramps
  • handrails
  • widening of doors
  • stairlifts

Financial help may also be available to make a property safe and suitable for the needs of a disabled person, or to help a disabled person to care for another person who lives in the property.

The grant, which is means tested, is available to both home owners, private tenants and housing association tenants and can provide up to £30,000 of financial support. Any work carried out must be necessary to meet the needs of the disabled person, and also be reasonable and practical given the age and condition of the property. If the works are for a disabled child (under 19), and the parents are in receipt of child benefit, there is no means test. If you have to pay anything you will be told how much when you apply. You may be able to get a loan to help you cover the cost.

If you would like adaptations making to your home for someone who is elderly or an adult with disabilities, please telephone 01482 300 300.

If you would like adaptations making to your home for a child with disabilities, please telephone 01482 300 300 and ask to speak to the children and families disability team.

More information on housing adaptations for children with disabilities

Contact us

Emergency duty team
In all cases of emergency out side of normal office hours please contact the emergency duty team.
Tel: 01482 300 304

Adaptations for the elderly and adults with disabilities

Contact us

Private Housing Section
Hull City Council
The Guildhall
Alfred Gelder Street

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Adaptations for children with disabilities

For adaptations for children with disabilities, contact the children and families disability team -

Children and families disability team
Hull City Council
The Children's Centre
70 Walker Street
Map (link opens in new window)

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 886 593

Opening hours -
Monday to Thursday 8.30am to 5pm
Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017