Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Environment > Pollution > Water quality > ...
Water quality

Drainage and sewage

The drainage section will provide the following services -

  • investigate requests relating to blocked and defective water closets, gullies, drains and sewers where necessary, serving legal notices to ensure blockages are promptly cleared
  • the investigation of suspect deficit WCs, gullies, drains and sewers using various methods including CCTV
  • clearing obstructed WCs, gullies, drains and sewers by plunging, rodding or jetting at a pre-determined charge
  • giving free technical and legal advice on drainage problems

How to keep drains clear

  • only get rid of the normal contents of your toilet, washing machine, dishwasher and kitchen sink waste through the drainage system
  • food waste and cooled fat or oils or other solid matter should be put into plastic bags and put in the bin. Hot fat should be allowed to cool before throwing out.
  • don't put cotton buds, nappies, female toiletries etc down toilets. Put them in the bin or in a special waste disposal system if one is available
  • putting a degreasing agent into drains occasionally may help prevent the build up of fat in the drainage system
  • don't pour oils (like engine oil) down the drain, but get rid of them safely in containers provided at the tips
  • watch out for needle stick injuries - never put your hand into a drain or gully

How to request drain services

Please contact us on 01482 300 300 to request a drain service. When making a request for service we will require -

  • your name and address and telephone number
  • if it is a commercial property we will need the company name, address and telephone number
  • the address where the problem is
  • who is the owner of the property (council or private)?
  • are other houses affected (council or private)?
  • has anyone tried to clear it?
  • how bad is it?
  • is there any raw sewage?
  • has it been reported before? If so when?
  • times when you are available
  • do you have any specific requirements the officer needs to be aware of when they call?

Contact us

Public protection division
Pest control section
Hull City Council
33 Witham 

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 504

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017