Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Health and social care > Adult social care > [ Residential care ]
Adult social care
Choosing a care home 
 Web links
Care Quality Commission
Extra Care Housing

Residential care

Consider your options

If you are thinking about moving into a care home we would always advise that you look into the other options available. There might be support that can be offered to you at home that you had not thought about.

More information about support to stay at home

You can get advice and information about a whole range of care and support by contacting us on 01482 300 300 or emailing

Who is eligible for residential care

We would have to do a full assessment of your needs to decide whether you need care in a residential or nursing home. The council will only recommend residential care if the cost of supporting you in your home would be excessive or impractical.

Because the decision to move into a residential home is such an important one, you should consider very carefully whether the home you have selected is going to meet both your short and long term needs.

Once it has been agreed that residential care is right for you, you have a right to choose any residential home providing –

  • it is in England or Wales
  • it is registered with a Local Authority or is a Local Authority home or otherwise exempt from registration
  • there is a place available
  • it can meet all your identified needs
  • the council and homeowner agree a contract
  • the home does not charge more than the council’s agreed rate.

Residential care costs

If following the assessment an agreement for residential care is recommended, you will be financially assessed to find out if you are eligible for assistance towards the fees. We will then pay the difference between your assessed contribution and the actual cost of the home.
If you have less than £14,250 capital, your contribution will only be assessed on your income.

If you have over £14,250 capital then a proportion of that capital will be taken into account.

If you have in excess of £23,250 capital or a high weekly income you may not be eligible for funding. In these circumstances advice may be given, as you may be eligible for other benefits which would assist towards your fees.

For a short stay or respite in a residential care home a standard charge is applied dependent on the type of residential care that you have been assessed as requiring.

Claiming housing and council tax benefit

You can claim benefits while in residential care for a limited period. You are allowed to continue claiming for up to 13 weeks during a period of absence if you are in residential accommodation - for example, homes for the elderly - on a temporary basis. You will need to complete a temporary absence form.

More information about housing and council tax benefits when in residential care

Finding a residential home

Elderly residential homes, nursing homes and homes for adults with learning disabilities are registered by the Care Quality Commission (CQC). A full list of homes in the area is available from the Care Quality Commission. Their contact details are –

The Care Quality Commission
National Correspondence
Newcastle Upon Tyne

Tel: 03000 616 161 
Website: (link opens in a new window)

The Care Quality Commissions can also provide details of establishments in the East Riding of Yorkshire as well as within the Hull boundary.

You can also get free, independent reports on the quality of your local homes and care services to help you make an informed choice from the Care Quality Commission (CQC). The CQC is the independent social care watchdog for England who inspect and write reports on all adult social care services in England.

How to choose a care home

You have a right to choose the residential home you move to whether or not you pay for all your own care, as long as –

  • your chosen home has a place available
  • it is suitable for your assessed needs
  • the home will enter a contract with the council under its usual terms and conditions
  • it doesn’t cost more than the council would usually expect to pay for someone with your needs

Finding a home that suits you

When you are ready to start choosing a care home there will be things to look out for that are important to you.

The best way to find out if you like a care home is to visit the homes. If you can not get out to visit the homes you are interested in, ask someone from those homes to visit you. You could also ask a trusted relative or friend to visit and gather information on your behalf.

When visiting, take time to look around, talk to the manager, staff, residents and their visitors if possible. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and visit as many homes as you can to help you decide which one is best for you.

Make your own decisions about each home – how it looks and smells, what the staff are like and, most importantly, whether the people who live there are treated with respect.

More information about how to choose a care home that suits you

Contact us

For referrals please contact –

The Wilson Centre CSC

The Wilson Centre CSC
Hull City Council
Alfred Gelder Street

Telephone: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Opening hours

Monday and Tuesday, 9am - 4.30pm
Wednesday, 11am - 4.30pm
Thursday and Friday, 9am - 4.30pm
Saturday, 10am - 4pm
Sunday, closed

Disabled door access is via the Queens Garden entrance.

Accessible liftDisabled parkingDisabled toiletHearing loop
Please note the pin on the map is based on the postcode only and may not be placed at the exact location of the building

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017