Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Food business > [ Gas safety in food businesses ]
Food business

Gas safety in food businesses

If you are a food business operator, you must -

  • have a suitable maintenance scheme in place. An example gas safety checklist is available to download below.

  • use a gas engineer who is Gas Safe Registered and competent to work on the particular gas appliances. Gas Safe Registered businesses can be found on the Gas Safe Register website (link opens in a new window) or by telephoning 0800 408 5500. Further information about registered engineers follows further down this page

  • ensure that gas appliance manufacturers’ instructions are followed, that employees have been suitably informed, instructed and where necessary trained in procedures that must be followed

All Gas Safe registered engineers have an ID card with their licence number and a photograph, which you can check by phone on 0800 408 5500 or the Gas Safe Register website (link opens in a new window).

Gas Safe Register ID badge

Front of ID card

Remember to check -

  • the licence number
  • the start date
  • the expiry date
  • the security hologram

Back of ID card

Remember to check -

  • your engineer is qualified for the work to be done
  • his/her qualifications are up to date


To carry out gas work in catering establishments your gas engineer must have the CCCN1- Commercial Catering Core Gas Safety Assessment. This will be shown on the back of his/her ID card by the word ‘Catering’ under ‘Non-Domestic’ (on the right of the back of the ID card - the sample above does not have this).

The ID card will only tell you whether he/she is competent in working on non-domestic catering appliances and natural gas or LPG and the date to which his/her qualifications are valid.

You also need to check whether the engineer is competent to work on your particular gas equipment. There are four categories you need to be aware of when employing a gas engineer.

Commercial Catering Range Cookers (COMCAT 1) – including open/solid top ranges, combination ovens, forced convention ovens, natural convection ovens, boiling pans, gas-fired dish washers, ancillary equipment such as pizza ovens, tandoors and heated woks.

Commercial Catering Pressure/Expansion (COMCAT 2) – including pressure steamers and pressurised steaming ovens.

Commercial Catering Fat & Pressure Fryers (COMCAT 3) – including deep fat fryers and pressure fryers, griddles, simulated charcoal grills, grills over/under fired and salamander grills.

Fish and Chip Ranges (COMCAT 4) – commercial gas catering fish and chip ranges.

There are also specific qualifications for working with liquefied petroleum gas. Please contact the Gas Safe Register for further information.

Make up air

When designing and installing commercial kitchens, where there are gas appliances, the ventilation system must include the provision for permanent make up air and extraction.  Permanent make up air is necessary to provide sufficient air for complete combustion and cooling. It is not acceptable for replacement air to be drawn from open windows or doors, as they are not permanent openings.

Make up air may be provided mechanically (e.g. fan and filter) or naturally (e.g. ventilation grilles in windows, walls or doors).
There may be a number of options available to you, and you should seek advice from a competent person or contact our environmental health service.

Interlocking of gas supply and ventilation system

When designing and installing commercial kitchens, where there are gas appliances, you must ensure the gas supply and the mechanical ventilation system are ‘interlocked’ in the following situations -

  • newly installed kitchens
  • new mechanical ventilation systems

You should seek advice from a competent gas or ventilation engineer, or alternatively, contact our environmental health service.

Further detailed information on this matter is available on Catering Information Sheet 23 (Gas Safety in catering and hospitality), produced by the Health and Safety Executive.

Further information

Further information on gas safety is available on the Health & Safety Executive website (all links open in a new window) -

Contact us

Health and Safety
Environmental Health
Hull City Council
33 Witham

Tel: If you are a business please call 01482 300 301. If you are a member of the public please call 01482 300 300.
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 518

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017