Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Community and living > Births > [ Tell us once if you`ve had a baby ]

Tell us once if you've just had a baby

When you've just had a baby, their birth needs to be registered with the registrar. Once that's done, several other organisations may have to be contacted and given the same information.

We can help you to give the information to the Department for Work and Pensions and they can pass on this information to a number of other government departments and local council services for you. This also means you will not need to send copies of the birth certificate to the different organisations.

How to use the service

When you contact us to make an appointment to register a birth, we will ask you if you would also like to use the tell us once service and tell you what documents you will need to bring with you to get the most out of the service. This will include the following -

  • a completed claim form for child benefit (if you are making a claim)
  • a date of birth, address, telephone number and national insurance number for each person named on the birth register
  • details of any benefits being received or that have been applied for by each person named on the birth register

If any person named on the birth register is not present at the appointment, you will need to get their permission before you pass on their details to us to use the tell us once service.

What happens to the information

If you decide to use this service we will be able to tell the following organisations -

Your local council's -

  • housing benefit office
  • council tax benefit office
  • council housing
  • libraries
  • adult services
  • children’s services (family information services)

Department for Work and Pensions

If you receive income support, employment support allowance, jobseekers allowance (income based only) a notification can be sent to the department for work and pensions.

HM Revenues and Customs (HMRC)

  • Child benefit
    If you bring a completed form with you the registrars can verify your form and send it off for you.  This does not mean you will receive a payment any quicker, it will however mean you do not need to include a birth certificate with your application.

  • Tax credits
    If you receive one of the above department of work and pensions benefits, and also have a child and qualify for tax credits we can inform HMRC that you have had another baby. Tax credits are not updated automatically, you must telephone the tax credits helpline and ask them to act on the information provided.

    If you are in receipt of working tax credits or child tax credit but do not receive the above department of work and pensions benefits we are unable to issue a notification through tell us once, you must notify HMRC by telephoning the helpline number 0345 300 3900.

    If this is your first child we can not issue an notification.  You must contact the HMRC tax credit helpline  on 0345 300 3900 and make a new claim.

How we will treat the information you give us

The information you give will be treated securely and confidentially.

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017