Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Council housing > [ Council housing for ex-Armed Forces ]
Council housing
 See also
Support for Armed Forces and veterans

Council housing for ex-Armed Forces personnel

How to apply for a council home

You can apply for council housing before you have been discharged from the Armed Forces as long as you know what your discharge date will be.

Once you have the relevant discharge papers you need to register on our housing list by completing a HomeSearch application form. You can pick up a copy from any of our customer service centres and information points, by telephoning 01482 300 300 or from this website.

Download or request a HomeSearch application form

In addition to the documentation listed in the HomeSearch application form you will also need to make sure you have -

  • your discharge papers, or a suitable letter from your Commanding Officer
  • a copy of your Cessation of Entitlement to Occupy a Service Families Quarter, if appropriate

Priority bands

When you apply to register on the housing list we will use the information you have provided on your application form to assess your housing need and determine your priority on the housing list. We award points based on your circumstances and the more points you are awarded, the higher your priority on the waiting list.

Local connection

We give a higher priority to people who have a local connection to Hull than those who do not. You have a local connection if you have –

  • lived in Hull for at least six out of the last 12 months or three years out of the last five years
  • close family who live in Hull and have done so for at least five years (for example parents, children, brothers, sisters or grandparents)
  • permanent employment in Hull
  • a need for specialist medical treatment in Hull

However, you will not be disadvantaged due to time spent serving out of Hull when assessing local connection.  The assessment of whether you meet the criteria above will be made based upon your time before and after time spent out of the city serving in the Armed Forces.

Additional preference for Armed Forces Personnel

The Housing Act 1996 (Additional Preference for Armed Forces)(England) Regulations 2012 provide that applicants meeting certain criteria should be given additional preference for re-housing if they are in urgent housing need. 

For the purposes of the criteria below, the regular and reserve forces are as defined in Section 374 of the Armed Forces Act 2006(a).

The criteria

  • a person who is serving in the regular forces and suffering from a serious injury or disability which is attributable (wholly or partly) to their service
  • a person who formerly served in the regular forces
  • a person who has recently ceased, or will cease to be entitled, to reside in accommodation provided by the Ministry of Defence following the death of their spouse or civil partner who has served in the regular forces and whose death was attributable (wholly or partly) to that service
  • a person who is serving in the reserve forces and suffering from a serious injury, illness or disability which is attributable (wholly or partly) to their service

How will we award additional preference?

If you have a Band B priority and you meet one of the criteria above, your housing application will be placed into Band A.
If you do not have a Band B priority but you meet one of the criteria above, you will be awarded 5 points (in addition to those that you are already entitled to).  This will mean you would have priority over someone else with the same housing need as you but who does not meet the criteria above.

Once we have registered your application we will write to tell you your reference number and which priority band you are in. You can then start bidding on our advertised properties.

Bidding for a council home

To be considered for a council home you need to 'bid' for it. This does not involve money - it simply means expressing an interest in a property and asking us to consider you for it.

More information about bidding for a council home

Our available council homes are advertised weekly on a Thursday. Generally the properties will remain open for bidding until the following Monday at 5pm, however over public holidays we may not advertise or the biddling deadline may be extended, so please check each advert carefully for further information.

You can find our council home advertisements in the following places -

If you are unable to access our adverts in any of these ways we can post the information to you.

Properties are advertised as soon as a tenant gives notice to terminate their tenancy so many of the properties are still occupied. Please do not disturb tenants or their neighbours by asking to view their home. If you make a successful bid we will invite you to view the property.

Find out more about what happens if your bid is successful

Other housing advice

As well as helping you to find a suitable council home we can also give you advice about a wide range of housing services and other housing options which you may be interested in. These include -

  • how to find a private rented home through our accredited landlord scheme
  • how to rent a home from a housing association
  • how to buy a home through an affordable housing scheme
  • how to have your home assessed for adaptations for people with a disability

Call our Housing Options team on 01482 300 300 for advice or to arrange a housing options interview, where an advisor can talk through your options.

Other support available to Armed Forces personnel and veterans

After leaving the forces, the transition back to civilian life can present real challenges for some people. Here in Hull, organisations including Hull City Council, NHS and Job Centre have pledged to support those who need it by signing a Charter.

Help with housing, employment, health and welfare are just some of the issues that organisations across Hull can help you with.

Find out more about the support available to Armed Forces personnel and veterans 

Contact us

Hull City Council
PO Box 15

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017