Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Permits, licences and registration > [ Sexual entertainment venue ]
Permits, licences and registration

Sexual entertainment venue

Under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 (as amended by the Policing and Crime Act 2009), any premises wishing to operate as a sexual entertainment venue must first be licensed.

Relevant entertainment is any live -

  • performance
  • display of nudity

which ignoring financial gain of the organiser, is reasonably assumed to be solely for the purposes of sexually stimulating any member of a live audience (including an audience of one).

A premises does not include any private dwelling where the public are not admitted.

Policy on the licensing of sexual entertainment venues

The council does not have a rigid policy on the licensing of sexual entertainment venues. However, the stance is that each application will be considered and judged on its merits.

How to apply for a licence

Applicants need to complete an application form, which is available to download below –

The application process requires -

  • full name, age and permanent residential address
  • details of the company making the application
  • the full names and private addresses of the directors or other persons responsible for management of the company.

Within seven days of making the application, a copy must be sent to the Chief Officer of Police for the council's area.

Also from the date of application, a notice advertising the application must be displayed in a conspicuous place on or near the premises for a period of 21 days.

In addition, an advertisement must also be displayed in a local newspaper no later than 7 days after the date of application.

Each application for the grant of a licence is considered by the Licensing Committee before a licence is granted.

Objections to your application for a grant, transfer, variation or renewal

Any person objecting to an application for this type of licence (of whatever kind) must give notice of this in writing to the council, stating the grounds for objection and not later than 28 days of the application being made.

How to appeal if your application is refused

An applicant may at any time before the expiration of 21 days of been notified of the application been refused may appeal to a magistrates’ court for the relevant area. Further to this, an appeal against the decision of a magistrates’ court may also be brought to the Crown Court. The decision of the Crown Court however, is final.

Duration of licence

The licence covers a one-year or a shorter period if the council believes there are grounds to shorten the licence duration. Applicants are required to give notice if they wish renew the licence.


Application fee (required on initial grant, non-refundable)   £2,040
Grant fee (if application approved)   £2,040
Renewal, variation or transfer of licence   £2,040

Contact us

Licensing section
Hull City Council
33 Witham

Tel: 01482 300 301
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 554

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017