Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Health and social care > Adult social care > Financial advice for adult social care > ...
Direct payments
 Web links
Choices and Rights
Hull CVS

Employing a personal assistant (PA)

You can use your direct payments to employ a personal assistant to provide your care support.

More information about direct payments

To employ a personal assistant (PA) you need the support from Choices and Rights to get started. Your social worker will put you in contact with Choices and Rights when you have

Be clear with your PA what you want them to do for you. You are the best person to let them know how you want them to support you - this is where your support plan will be helpful.

Employing a personal assistant is very straight forward and requires little involvement once set up.

Employing someone you know

You can employ a friend or a member of your family as long as they do not live in the same house as you. The Choices and Rights worker will help you to set up their employment.

We strongly advise you to have the person you are employing checked out but you may not want to do this if you know the person very well.

If you do now know who you want to employ

If you do not know who you want to employ Choices and Rights can help. They have a list of personal assistants (PAs) and will help you recruit someone.

The Choices and Rights support worker will arrange a DBS (disclosure and barring service) check and help you take up references if you wish.

Mix your care services

You can have a combination of services to provide your care. This includes choosing from an agency, employing a PA or services organised by social care services at the council. You can use your direct payment to pay towards these services.

Sometime it takes time to set up a personal assistant. You can choose to use an agency at the beginning of your support plan and then end their contract once you have a personal assistant available.

Ensure your support worker knows what you are doing as you need to keep within your agreed budget.


The Choices and Rights support worker will help you set up the insurance you need as an employer. You cannot start any employment until the insurance is in place.

Paying your personal assistant

Hull Community and Voluntary Services (CVS) will support you with a payroll service and will send you a regular payslip for your personal assistant. You will need to give this to your personal assistant.

You should inform CVS of the hours your personal assistant has worked, including any bank holidays, if they have been sick or taken any annual leave.

Inland Revenue

CVS will also send you an advice letter telling you how much money needs to be paid to the Inland Revenue.

You will write a cheque to the Inland Revenue for the amount the CVS have worked out for you and send the cheque back to the CVS who will handle all your Inland Revenue business.

You must keep all the paperwork you get from CVS (except for the payslip which you give to your personal assistant) and any bank statements and cheque book stubs.

Contact us

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017