Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Health and social care > Adult social care > Support for carers > ...
Support for carers

Carer’s assessments

Carers look after family, partners or friends in need of help because they are ill, frail or have a disability. The care they provide is unpaid. Some carers look after someone for a few hours per week while others provide care constantly. Many carers provide care in their own home, while others support a friend or relative who lives elsewhere.

Request a carer’s assessments

If you are a carer, a carer’s assessment is often the first step to getting the help and support you need.

We recognise and value the work you do. Our aim is to work with you to offer practical help in caring.

When we carry out an assessment of the needs of the person you care for, we will usually talk to you about their needs and the help you give. You can also request a carer’s assessment by contacting us on 01482 300 300.

When we do a carer’s assessment we encourage you to tell us about –

  • the support you provide
  • the help you need
  • difficulties you might have providing care
  • your feelings about continuing care

A carer’s assessment can be done in private and in confidence. If you wish, there is no need for anyone other than your worker to know what is in the assessment.

We will use the information you give us to help in making a decision about what services are needed.

Your care plan

If your assessment shows you are eligible for support we work with you to write a support plan. This details the support you need and where you will get it from. This could be from local community services, or from paid support and could include -

  • equipment or adaptations to your home
  • respite care which could take a wide range of forms
  • paying someone else to do the things you can’t do for yourself because of your caring role

If you need paid support, we work out with you how much money you need which you can take as a direct payment or you can ask us to arrange support on your behalf. You are not be asked to contribute to the cost of your support.

Financial support

You may qualify for a carer’s allowance.

More information about carer’s allowance

You or the person you look after may be entitled to financial help from the Benefits Agency, such as Disability Living Allowance and Attendance Allowance. Please contact the local Benefits Agency on 01482 574 444 or the freephone Benefits Enquiry Line on 0800 882 200 for more information.

You may also be eligible for a carer's direct payment.

Visit the Carer's Information Service website to find out more (link opens in a new window)

Contact us

Contact any of our care management teams on –

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017