Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Health and social care > Adult social care > Financial advice for adult social care > ...
Financial advice for adult social care

Personal budgets

A personal budget is an amount of funding paid to you from adult social care which you can spend on the services and support you need to help you live more independently.

Anyone aged 18 or over who is eligible for social care support can have a personal budget. You can use the money to buy services from the council, from other providers, or both.

You can decide whether you leave the budget to adult social care to organise your services, or take some or all of the budget yourself to organise services from other providers. If you manage some or all of the budget yourself, you will be paid the personal budget into your bank account – this is called a ‘direct payment’.

More information about direct payments

How to apply for a personal budget

If you think you need help from adult social care please contact us on 01482 300 300 or visit us at The Wilson Centre. We will discuss your needs with you and if we feel you would be helped by services from adult social care we will organise for you to have an assessment.

More information about assessments

The address and contact details for The Wilson Centre are detailed at the bottom of the page.

You can contact us yourself or ask someone else to do it for you.

If you already access services from adult social care, please contact us or your social worker for more information about personal budgets.

How your personal budget is worked out

We will complete a financial assessment with you to work out your personal budget. You will be asked about your benefits and any savings you may have.

Depending on the results of your assessment, you may be asked to make a financial contribution towards the cost of your support.

For example, if you have a weekly direct payment budget of £100 and have been asked to contribute £10, social care will pay £90 to your bank account and you will pay £10 to your bank account to make your budget back up to £100.

If you are asked to contribute, you will still be requested to make a contribution if you choose to have services provided for you instead of organising your own support.

You can refuse to have a financial assessment but you will automatically be charged the highest rate.

How you can use your personal budget (your support plan)

We will meet with you to plan how you want to use your personal budget. This is called your support plan. It should include what you want to change in your life, and what you plan to do to make those changes happen. We will listen to you and provide information you need to help you decide what is important to you.

If you decide to leave your personal budget with social care at Hull City Council to manage on your behalf, your support worker will arrange services for you.

You may decide to take it as a direct payment that you will manage so you can arrange your own services, or have a mixture of council provided services and a direct payment. You can change your mind at any time and change how your budget is managed.

Find out more about support plans
Information about direct payments

The Wilson Centre CSC

The Wilson Centre CSC
Hull City Council
Alfred Gelder Street

Telephone: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Opening hours

Monday and Tuesday, 9am - 4.30pm
Wednesday, 11am - 4.30pm
Thursday and Friday, 9am - 4.30pm
Saturday, 10am - 4pm
Sunday, closed

Disabled door access is via the Queens Garden entrance.

Accessible liftDisabled parkingDisabled toiletHearing loop
Please note the pin on the map is based on the postcode only and may not be placed at the exact location of the building

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017