Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Council housing > [ Subletting your home ]
Council housing
 See also
Council tenancies
Tenancy fraud
 Web links
Habinteg Housing Association
Lodgers - Shelter website
Places for People
Sanctuary Housing
Together Housing

Subletting part of your council home

What part subletting means

Subletting is when you rent part of your property to a subtenant. Your subtenant will normally have exclusive access to at least one room – usually a bedroom, which you cannot enter without their permission.

Only secure tenants can sublet their property. Both introductory and demoted tenancy types can not have a subtenant.

If you do not want to give a subtenant exclusive access to part of your property you may wish to consider taking in a lodger.

More information about taking in a lodger

For more information about taking in a lodger or subtenant into your home download the document below -

Apply to sublet your property

Before you can part sublet you must get our written consent and the person you would like to sublet to must complete a separate form.

To request permission to part sublet your tenancy, please download and fill in the form below –

The sub tenant must also provide their details be filling in the form below -
PDF Icon Sub tenant details (size: 32.2 Kb)
(link opens in new window)

What happens after you have applied

Once we have received your request we will need to visit you at your property to discuss your request and carry out an inspection. We will then write to you to let you know whether the sublet can take place.

You cannot sublet all of your property. If you do, you will lose your secure tenancy.

Right to rent

From Monday 1 February all private landlords, including anyone subletting or taking in lodgers, are required to carry out mandated checks on all new tenants to make sure they have the right to rent property in England.

Landlords are required to check identity documents for all new tenants and take copies. The Government has worked closely with housing and homelessness charities to design a document list which can accommodate different individual circumstances such as for people do not have traditional identity documents like a passport.

The roll out of Right to Rent has been informed by input from a panel of experts from trade bodies, local authorities, housing charities and the Equality and Human Rights Commission. This has been backed up by stakeholder events with landlords and agents.

There are resources available to help landlords comply with the new rules, including an online checking aid which landlords can use to guide them through the process and to request a check on anyone who has an outstanding case with the Home Office.

Find out more about Right to Rent checks (Link opens in new window)

Housing and council tax benefit claims

If you are claiming housing or council tax benefit, your claim may be affected by taking in a lodger so please remember to inform our benefits team. If you do not report a change to your circumstances you could be under or overpaid benefit and you could face prosecution.

Find out how to report a change to your circumstances

Contact us

Housing services
Hull City Council
Alfred Gelder Street

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017