Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Council housing > Improvements and repairs > ...
Improvements and repairs

Improving your council home

If you are a secure council tenant you have the right to make improvements to your home but you must get our consent before you do any of the following -

  • cultivate, fence off or restrict access to any part of a communal area
  • build, construct or place any building or other structure in a communal area
  • fence off or enclose any part of a driveway
  • change the structure of any building at the premises
  • undertake work to the electrical, gas, water or drainage installations
  • erect a shed, pigeon loft, outbuilding or other building
  • erect a CB aerial, television aerial, satellite dish or other radio or telecommunications device
  • construct a hard standing driveway, patio, pond or other permanent feature
  • install laminate or other solid floor covering or fitted furniture
  • apply or install permanent textured coverings or coatings (including but not limited to textured plaster and polystyrene or ceramic tiles)

If you make alterations to your home or outside space without our consent we may charge you for the cost of putting it back to its original condition.

You do not need to get consent if you want to paint or decorate your home or if you want to carry out an improvement not listed above. If you are unsure whether you need permission please contact your area housing team by telephoning 01482 300 300.

To request permission please write to your area housing team.

What happens next

We will acknowledge your request within five working days of us receiving it and we will let you know whether the work can go ahead within 10 working days.

If we are not able to approve your request we will explain the reasons why and tell you how you can appeal against our decision if you disagree with it.


If you disagree with our decision, you can ask for a review by a second person using any further information you feel will help us make a decision.

Making sure the work is done properly

Once you have been given permission, you are responsible for -

  • getting planning permission and building regulations approval if it's needed – this must be done before work begins

Find out more about planning permission

Find out more about building regulations approval

  • making sure that the work is carried out by a qualified person (where necessary)
  • any costs of getting approval
  • notifying us when the work has been completed as we may need to inspect it

We have the right to inspect any work that you have done.


If you have made improvements to your home you may be entitled to compensation when your tenancy comes to an end.

Find out more about compensation (link opens in a new window)

Contact us

Housing practice management team
Hull City Council
Kenworthy House
98 – 104 George Street

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017