Feed business approval or registration
Who needs to be registered or approved
Under Feed Hygiene Regulation 183/2005 feed business operators must not operate without registration or approval as appropriate.
A feed business is -
- any undertaking whether for profit or not, and whether public or private
- any operation of production, manufacture, processing, storage, transport or distribution of feed
- any producer producing, processing or storing feed for feeding to animals on their holding
This includes feed importers, manufacturers, sellers, transporters of feed (for example haulage companies), businesses storing feed, and food companies selling co-products for use as feed.
The regulation does not apply to -
- persons producing or storing feed for or feeding animals intended for their own consumption, or animals not kept for food production
- the direct supply of ‘small quantities’ of primary products at local level by the producer to local farms
- the retailing of pet food
If you are already registered with other official schemes (for example the Rural Payments Agency or CAP Reform) or registered under food hygiene then you do not need to make a new registration under this legislation.
Businesses that have previously been registered under the Feeding Stuffs (Establishments and Intermediaries) Regulations will have that registration continued, but you should notify us that you are still carrying out the same activities.
In general businesses will only need to be approved if they carry out higher risk operations such as -
- manufacturing or importing certain ingredients (for example specified feed additives, veterinary/medicinal products)
- activities such as the manufacture and marketing of certain feed additives or premixtures of feed additives
Most feed business establishments are only registered.
How much it costs
Registration is free. The approval fee, which is down in law, is -
|Type of approval
|Manufacture only, or manufacture and placing on the market, of feed additives referred to in Article 10(1)(a) of Regulation 83/2005 other than those specified in regulation 2(3), or of premixtures of such additives (approvals)
|Placing on the market of feed additives referred to in Article 10(1)(a) of Regulation 183/2005 other than those specified in Regulation 2(3), or of premixtures of such (approvals)
How to apply for approval or registration
To apply for registration or approval under the EC Feed Hygiene Regulation (183/2005), download and complete the application form below -