Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Trading standards > [ Animal by-products disposal ]
Trading standards
 Web links guidance for the animal by-product industry

Animal by-products disposal

Animal by-products are entire bodies or parts of animals, or products of animal origin not intended for human consumption. You must dispose of animal by-products only through legally specified disposal routes.

Animal by-products produced by food businesses include -

  • raw meat and fish and products made from them that need to be cooked before eating. This includes raw meat that is cured or coated in a sauce.

Uncooked meat, fish and eggs and food waste which has been in contact with such animal by-products must be sent to an outlet that is approved to receive them, such as -

    • rendering plant
    • incinerator
    • alkaline hydrolysis plant
    • technical plant
    • composting or biogas plant
    • pet food plant

  • former foodstuffs - this includes former foodstuffs of animal origin, or former foodstuffs containing products of animal origin, other than catering waste, which are no longer intended for human consumption for commercial reasons or due to problems of manufacturing or packaging defects or other defects which do not present any risk to humans or animals.

This would include cooked meat fish and poultry and foods contain them as ingredients including ready meals, cooked pies, pastries and sausage rolls, tinned meat and fish, dips with cooked meat, frankfurters and cocktail sausages, lard and goose fat.

Depending on the type of former foodstuff you may be able to be disposed of it to landfill.

  • catering waste - all waste food including used cooking oil originating in restaurants, catering facilities and kitchens, including central kitchens and household kitchens.

Catering waste can be disposed of to landfill or to approved incineration or composting or biogas premises.

If your business produces any of the above animal by-products please contact us for advice on their safe disposal.

Waste food and animal feed

There are strict controls on what food waste can and cannot be reused as animal feed. These laws are in place to prevent animal disease outbreaks such as foot and mouth disease and swine fever.

This is in addition to the Feed Hygiene Requirements covering the production, handling, storage, and transport of animal feeds.

Find out more about animal feed and hygiene

Contact us

Trading Standards Advice
33 Witham

Tel: public enquiries - 01482 300 300 or business enquiries - 01482 300 301
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 572

We are open Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm, and Friday 9am to 4.30pm. Please note the trading standards office is not open to the public. If you have an enquiry please make this to trading standards by telephone, text phone, email or post.

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017