Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Trading standards > [ Chemicals, petrol and explosives ]
Trading standards
 Web links
HSE - biocides
HSE - fireworks
HSE - pesticides
HSE - petroleum
HSE - detergents

Chemical, petrol and explosives safety

Chemicals, detergents, biocides and pesticides

If your business deals with chemicals, detergents, biocides, pesticides or poisons, you must make sure that your chemicals are correctly labelled and packaged. There are also strict rules on the storage and handling of poisons. Importers, manufacturers, wholesalers and sellers must comply with the law.

We are responsible for the following areas of chemicals law -

  • pesticides law - advertisement and retail sale
  • detergents law - enforcement of the Detergents Regulations 2010
  • biocides law - their advertisement and retail sale, including ensuring they are packaged and labelled appropriately
  • REACH (registration, evaluation, authorisation and restriction of chemicals) - the system for controlling chemicals in Europe

REACH is based on the principle that it is for manufacturers, importers and downstream users to ensure that they manufacture, place on the market or use such substances that do not adversely affect human health or the environment.

A number of different agencies are responsible for enforcing REACH including the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and local authorities, including Hull City Council.

The role of the council’s trading standards service, acting as ‘local consumer safety authority’, is to ensure that goods made available to the public for their personal consumption are safe

The role of the council’s health and safety section, along with the HSE, is to -

  • secure the health, safety and welfare of persons at work
  • protect others against risks to health and safety in connection with activities of persons at work
  • control the manufacture and placing on the market of articles and substances

If you are unsure about how to comply with labelling and storage laws, please contact us using the online form below. Alternatively contact us on 01482 300 300 or email


We can advise you about how to comply with the strict safety controls on the storage and sale of petrol and sites where petrol is pumped for private use.

If you are unsure about how to comply with petrol storage and sale laws, please contact us using the online form below. Alternatively contact us on 01482 300 300 or email

If you wish to open a petrol station, you must apply for a licence from us.

Find out how to apply for a licence for a petrol station

We also investigate fuel leaks and fuel contamination incidents.

Find out more about trading standards inspections and other visits

Ammunition, nail gun cartridges and airbag inflators

If you wish to store or supply airbag inflators, nail gun cartridges and certain types of ammunition, you must be registered with us.

Find out how to register for an explosives registration or licence


If you wish to store fireworks, subject to quantity, you must register with us. If you wish to supply fireworks outside the periods covering Chinese New Year, Diwali, Bonfire Night and New Year, you must be licensed by us.

Find out how to apply for a firework licence or registration

Please note that certain types of firework are banned or can only be used in professional displays. For further information please contact us.

Contact us

Trading Standards Advice
33 Witham

Tel: public enquiries - 01482 300 300 or business enquiries - 01482 300 301
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 572

We are open Monday to Thursday 9am to 5pm, and Friday 9am to 4.30pm. Please note the trading standards office is not open to the public. If you have an enquiry please make this to trading standards by telephone, text phone, email or post.

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017