Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Health and safety > [ Health and safety inspections ]
Health and safety
 Web links
Health and Safety Executive (HSE)

Health and safety inspections

Health and safety law is enforced by our inspectors or the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspectors, depending on the type of your business. We are the enforcing health and safety authority for the following types of businesses in Hull -

  • shops
  • warehouses and wholesale shops
  • offices
  • hotels, residential homes, restaurants and bars
  • sports and leisure facilities (except those run by the council)
  • consumer services, for example hairdressers and beauticians
  • places of worship

We have the right to enter any workplace without giving notice, though notice may be given where the inspector thinks it is appropriate. Premises are risk rated so that those that present the most risk are inspected more frequently.

Many other types of businesses come under the control of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). These include building sites, farms, hospitals and government premises. Please contact us if you are uncertain of the enforcing authority for your premises.

Visit the HSE website (link opens in a new window)

What happens during an inspection

On a normal inspection visit an inspector would look at your workplace, the work activities, your management of health and safety and to check that you are complying with health and safety law. The inspector may also talk to employees and their representatives or take photographs and samples.

If something is found to be wrong at a workplace, inspectors may choose to resolve the matter by providing advice and guidance.

This is, in most cases, followed by a letter requiring you to put things right. Where the breach of the law is more serious a formal notice may be served requiring improvements, or if there is a risk of serious personal injury, a prohibition notice may be served, prohibiting the use of a process or equipment. Inspectors also have powers to prosecute individuals and organisations.

At the end of the investigation, a follow-up visit may be scheduled. The inspector will agree with you the progress they expect you to have made by the next inspection.

You don't have to wait for an inspection to ask for our advice. If you are unsure how health and safety legislation applies to you, please contact us.

Contact us

Health and Safety
Environmental Health
Hull City Council
33 Witham

Tel: If you are a business please call 01482 300 301. If you are a member of the public please call 01482 300 300.
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 518

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017