Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Environment > Environmental nuisance > Smoke > ...

Smoke from a bonfire on a domestic property

If you witness a bonfire that is unattended, call Humberside Fire and Rescue Service on 999.

Domestic bonfires (including those on allotments) cause many problems to people in the area, including -

  • annoyance to neighbours - smoke prevents neighbours from enjoying their gardens, opening windows or hanging washing out, and reduces visibility in the neighbourhood and on roads
  • safety hazards - fire can spread to fences or buildings and scorch trees and plants. Exploding bottles and cans are a hazard when rubbish is burned. Piles of garden waste are often used as a refuge by animals, so look out for hibernating wildlife and sleeping pets
  • air pollution - air pollution can also have damaging health effects

Report smoke problems from a bonfire

If you experience smoke problems from a house or industrial chimney or bonfire, report it to us.

Find out how to report smoke problems caused by a domestic bonfire

Times for having bonfires

There are no specific byelaws prohibiting garden bonfires or specifying times they can be lit. However, only occasionally is a bonfire the best practicable way to dispose of woody or diseased waste that cannot be composted.

What can be burned

We recommend that you do not burn anything in your gardens or allotments. Most waste when burned is likely to produce smoke which can also cause a statutory nuisance to other people in the area.

Only clean non-treated dry wood should be burned. Any plastics, furniture or cable should not be burned at all. Instead you should dispose of your waste in the following ways -

  • green waste and food waste can be composted or put in the brown bin for composting
  • paper, plastic bottles, cans, can be put in the blue bin for recycling
  • large items should be taken to the recycling centres at Stoneferry or Burmah Drive

If you can’t take a large item to a centre, we can remove it for you.

Request a bulky item collection

You should not burn waste that is likely to create smoke or noxious fumes. It is an offence to dispose your domestic waste in a way that is likely to cause pollution of the environment or harm to human health under section 33(1)(c) of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (as amended).

Contact us

Environmental Health
Hull City Council
33 Witham

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 504

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017