Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Food business > [ New food business ]
Food business

Setting up a new food business

If you are setting up a new food business in Hull, you will need to -

  • register your business
  • apply for appropriate licences (if applicable)
  • have written procedures in place to manage food safely
  • have certain facilities on site

We can visit you if you are thinking of starting a food business to give you guidance about safe food hygiene practices and structural requirements for your premises. For more information please contact us on 01482 300 300 or email

The 'food safety for businesses' booklet (available to download below) provides a brief overview of what you need to know in starting your new food business and how we will be involved in helping you to comply with current legislation and good practice. It also provides some guidance on cleaning, pest control, training and food safety management systems.

Registering a food business

You must register your food premises with us at least 28 days before opening. If you have more than one premises you will need to register all of them. Registration allows us to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in our area so we can inspect them when we need to.

Register your food business

Apply for licences

If you sell hot food or hot drinks after 11pm, alcohol or provide entertainment, you will need to apply for an appropriate licence. It is an offence to undertake such activities without a licence under The Licensing Act 2003.

Find out more about how to apply for licences under The Licensing Act 2003

Food safety and hygiene procedures

If you have a food business, you must have procedures in place to manage food safely, and have certain facilities on your site.

Find out more about food safety and hygiene procedures for your business

What facilities your food business must have

Your food business must have the following facilities on site -

  • at least two hand washbasins - one in a food preparations area and one in a staff toilet area
  • adequate workspace
  • facilities to clean food equipment and hands (for example, it should have one sink for food wash and one for equipment wash)
  • adequate storage space, especially refrigeration. It is a good idea to have separate fridges for raw and ready-to-eat foods
  • waste disposal arrangements
  • staff facilities
  • adequate ventilation - natural and/or mechanical
  • drainage facilities
  • toilets for the public, where tables and seating are provided

Contact us

Food Safety Section
Environmental Health
Hull City Council
33 Witham

Tel: 01482 300 301
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 518

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017