History of Hull New Theatre
Born out of one man’s dream, Peppino Santangelo, to create a tradition of ‘playing for the people’, Hull New Theatre first opened in a blaze of glory in 1939.
Throughout its history, Hull New Theatre has survived many threats to its future, including a direct hit during the war and the threat of being turned into a bingo hall.
After an emergency meeting early in the 1960’s, Hull City Council decided to buy the New Theatre, Hull, as it was then known, to ward off the bingo entrepreneurs for good. The Kingston upon Hull Theatre Company was formed to run the theatre and throughout the 1960’s audiences remain steady, playing to some 150,000 people each year.
In 1985 the New Theatre, Hull, underwent a massive refurbishment, reopening its doors as Hull New Theatre.
Today it remains true to the purpose it was intended with a vast number of performances and performers gracing the stage of one of the best regional theatres in the country.