Healthier Options award
The Healthier Options award recognises catering businesses within Hull and the East Riding area, who are committed to customer care by providing a healthier environment and healthier food choices.
How to nominate
If you meet the criteria below and would like to nominate your business for the award, please contact us on 01482 300 300 and ask for the health education team or alternatively, email email@example.com
Businesses eligible for nomination
The award is open to all public and private food business including -
- hospital canteens
- public houses
- residential homes
- restaurants and cafes
- sandwich bars
- takeaway outlets
To qualify for the award, your business must -
- have scored an 'A' or a 'B' rating under the Scores on the Doors scheme for good hygiene standards More information about Scores on the Doors
- provide healthier food choices for customers such as lower fat alternatives, reduced fat in cooking, different bread options for sandwiches
Should I nominate my business
It is not compulsory to nominate your business however it is free, easy and shows a commitment to customer care and a willingness to provide healthier food choices.
The Healthier Options award assessment criteria is based on the former 'Heartbeat award' scheme so if your business has already been awarded with the Heartbeat award, there is no need to reapply - it will automatically receive the new Healthier Options award.
If a business is successful
Businesses awarded the Healthier Options award will be -
- recognised by customers as being committed to providing healthy food choices and a healthy environment to eat in
- able to display the Healthier Options award logo at their premises to let customers know of their achievement
- invited to attend one of three award ceremonies running throughout the year where their Healthier Options award will be presented
What the assessment process involves
You will be visited by a Healthier Options assessment officer who will ask you a series of questions to determine if your business meets the Healthier Options assessment criteria. This visit usually takes no longer than one hour.
If you are the owner of a public house, cafe, nursery, school, residential establishment or takeaway, you will be asked additional questions dependant on the type of business.
If a business does not meet the criteria
Following the assessment, if your business does not meet the criteria, the Healthier Options assessment officer will offer guidance on changes that could be made to achieve Healthier Options award status. It is then up to you whether you wish to follow their advice and make the changes.
Information for customers
If you are looking for healthier options when eating out, the Healthier Options award helps you to identify places offering healthy alternatives so you can make an informed choice.
You can download the list of current business who have achieved this award below -