Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Private housing > [ Private sector landlords ]
Private housing
Energy Performance Certificates 
Gas servicing 
Multiple occupancy homes 
 See also
Private sector housing strategy
 Web links
Great Move Hull
Find a plumbing or heating professional
Landlord Zone
National Landlords Association
Residential Landlords Association

Private sector landlords

Hull City Council has teamed up with a new website service called 'Lets Help You' to offer landlords a quick and easy way to advertise their properties.

Access more about Lets Help You

As a landlord you have certain obligations, including -

Respecting your tenants’ right to privacy

You may need to access a property to inspect it and to carry out repairs but you must let tenants live in their home without unnecessary interference. You must give proper notice if you want to enter a property you are letting.


You have to give written notice and get a court order if you want to evict your tenants.


Landlords are responsible for most repairs to the exterior and structure of a property. This means that problems with the roof, chimneys, walls, lintels, windows, doors, guttering and drains are your responsibility. You are also responsible for keeping the equipment for supplying water, gas and electricity and heating systems in safe working order. All maintenance work to gas appliances, flues and pipes must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Find out more about gas health and safety law from the Health and Safety Executive (link opens in a new window)

Safety standards

You are legally obliged to ensure the safety of your tenants. You have a duty of care implied by the Health and Safety at Work Act to ensure persons affected by your business, but not employed by you, are not put at risk by the operation of that business.

You must -

  • carry out an annual gas safety check and obtain a gas safety certificate for every gas appliance in your property. These must be issued by a Gas Safe (previously CORGI) registered engineer and renewed each year
  • ensure that any work identified by gas engineers is carried out
  • ensure that all furniture meets the fire safety standards
  • ensure the electrical installation is safe
  • ensure electrical equipment provided is safe
  • ensure that premises you let are in all respects safe for the occupation of your tenants and any visitors

Visit the Electrical Safety First website to find out more about safe electrical installation (opens in a new window)

Landlords of certain buildings occupied by more than one household (for example, houses split into bedsits, shared houses, flats, hostels) have additional legal obligations to comply with housing management regulations which require the maintenance of, amongst other things -

  • fire precautions
  • means of escape from fire
  • shared kitchens and bathrooms (including keeping these clean)
  • yards, forecourts, shared gardens, outbuildings and boundary walls and fences

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Regulations 2015

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 require rented properties to have smoke detection and in some instances carbon monoxide detectors.  You can download the statement of principles below -

Find out more information about Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Regulations (link opens in a new window)


You must inform your tenants when the rent is to be paid and how you want it paid. You can't refuse to accept rent from your tenants. Rent can be increased but only at certain times during the tenancy and only in certain circumstances. This will depend on the type of tenancy and what the tenancy agreement says about rent increases.

If rent is paid weekly, private landlords have to provide a rent book.

Providing information

All landlords have to give their tenants their name and a UK contact address. You must respond to your tenant’s written requests within 21 days of receiving their letter.

Housing Health and Safety Rating System

The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) is a risk assessment tool used to assess potential risks to the health and safety of occupants in residential properties. You can  download a copy of the document below -

Private sector housing strategy

Our private sector strategy and supporting policies are key to setting out how we will deliver Hull’s housing neighbourhood and renewal strategy 2011-2016 in respect of private sector housing in the city.

More information about the private sector housing strategy

The Redress Schemes for Lettings Agents and Property Managers

From 1 October 2014 it has been a legal requirement for all lettings agents and property managers in England to join one of three Government-approved redress schemes.

Whilst the majority of lettings agents and property managers provide a good service there are a minority who offer a poor service and engage in unacceptable practices. This requirement will mean that tenants and landlords with agents in the private rented sector and leaseholders and freeholders dealing with property managers in the residential sector will be able to complain to an independent person about the service they have received.

Ultimately the requirement to belong to a redress scheme will help weed out bad agents and property managers and drive up standards.

The requirement will be enforced by the authority that can impose a fine of up to £5,000 where an agent or property manager who should have joined a scheme has not done so.

Find out more about the Ombudsman Services (opens in a new window)

Find out more about the Property Redress Scheme (opens in a new window)

Find out more about the Property Ombudsman (opens in a new window)

Find out more about the Redress Scheme for Lettings Agents and Property Managers  (opens in a new window)

Legionella risk assessment

If you are an employer, or someone in control of premises, including landlords, you must understand the health risks associated with legionella.

You are responsible for health and safety and need to take the correct precautions to reduce the risks of exposure to legionella.

Access the Health and Safety Executive website for more information on risk assessments (link opens in a new window)  

Right to rent

From Monday 1 February 2016 Right to Rent goes live across England. This means all private landlords, including anyone subletting or taking in lodgers, need to carry out quick and simple checks on all new tenants to make sure they have the right to rent property in the country.

The roll out of Right to Rent has been informed by input from a panel of experts from trade bodies, local authorities, and housing charities and the Equality and Human Rights Commission and backed up by stakeholder events with landlords and agents.

Landlords need to check identity documents for all new tenants and take copies. A wide range of documents can be used for the checks, and the Government has worked closely with housing and homelessness charities to design a document list which can accommodate different individual circumstances. This includes where people do not have traditional identity documents such as a passport.

There are resources available to help landlords comply with the new rules, including an online checking aid which landlords can use to guide them through the process and to request a check on anyone who has an outstanding case with the Home Office. 

Find out more about making the checks (Link opens in new window)

To access the how to make a right to rent check video   (Link opens in a new window)

Contact us

Private Housing (Environmental Health) Team
Hull City Council
Alfred Gelder Street

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017