Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Private housing > Private sector landlords > ...
Private sector landlords

Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)

From 1 October 2008, it has been a requirement that all private and social landlords provide an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) whenever they let a building to a new tenant. The landlord must provide an EPC free of charge to all prospective tenants at the earliest opportunity and must provide a copy to the person who takes up the tenancy.

EPCs show the energy performance of a building. This includes the energy efficiency rating (relating to running costs) and the environmental impact rating (relating to carbon dioxide emissions). Ratings are shown on a scale of A-G with A being the most efficient and G being the least efficient.

These ratings, together with a recommendation report which shows how to improve the property’s energy efficiency, form the basis of the EPC and the complete document must be given to new tenants. There is no statutory requirement to carry out the works recommended in the report but by doing so a new EPC can be issued which will give better ratings.

To obtain an EPC, landlords will need to employ an accredited energy assessor. Estate agents and management agents may hold lists of assessors and landlords associations may also hold lists and may be able to arrange discounted fees. The cost of an EPC will vary but should cost around £50. Alternatively, landlords themselves may seek to become accredited and provide their own reports. 

Access the Department for Communities and Local Government website (link opens in a new window)

EPCs are valid for 10 years and can be used as many times as needed.

An EPC is not required for properties occupied before 1 October 2008 which continue to be occupied after that date by the same tenant. However, the landlord may provide a EPC in this situation if he wishes to.

Trading standards enforce these regulations and it is an offence to fail to provide a certificate.

Find out more about Trading Standards

Houses in multiple occupation

Houses or buildings let on a single contract to a group of unrelated people require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). However, where individual rooms in a house or building are let separately, an EPC is not required other than in specified circumstances.

An EPC is not required for halls of residence where individual tenants rent a room and share amenities, other than in specified circumstances.

For further details please download the PDF document below.


Contact us

Private Housing (Environmental Health) Team
Hull City Council
Alfred Gelder Street

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017