Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Council housing > Apply for a council home > ...
Apply for a council home
 See also
Bidding for a council house

Special circumstances

The following information details what services are available if you have circumstances that are serious and you do not feel your current band reflects this.


If you are homeless, please access our information on homelessness.

Find out more about homelessness 

Adapted housing

If you would benefit from adaptations in your home, such as grab rails, you can request an occupational therapy assessment. This assessment will determine whether your current home can be adapted to meet your needs or you need to be re housed into another suitably adapted property.

If you are already registered on the housing list and you think you need adapted housing, you can request an occupational therapy assessment by telephoning 01482 300 300. If you are registered on the housing list but do not live in Hull, please contact your local occupational therapy team for an assessment and send us a copy of their report.

If you would like to apply for an adapted council property, please register on our housing list. Our HomeSearch application form includes a section about adapted housing and we will make a referral to the occupational therapy team based on the information you provide.

Find out how to register on our housing list and access the HomeSearch application form

If the assessment confirms that you need to move to an adapted property, we will add you to our list and contact you when a property becomes available. You can also bid for adapted properties, or properties that may be suitable to be adapted, through the HomeSearch scheme. You may be awarded a medical priority if the Occupational Therapist states that your current home does not meet your needs.

Medical needs

There are three ways in which customers may be awarded a medical priority on our housing list.

If your current home is difficult for you to manage in (for example because you are struggling climbing the stairs and your bathroom and bedroom are upstairs), you can apply to the Medical Officer for a medical priority.

If this applies to you and you do not require adapted housing, please complete an NHS medical priority form, available to download below -

The application form is also available from the following address -

Re-housing on medical grounds
Brunswick House
Strand Close

Tel: 01482 616 399
Fax: 01482 616 107

The completed medical priority application form should also be returned to the address above.

Once the form has been received an assessment will be carried out and a decision will be made. You will receive the result in writing. If you have been successful, the medical officer will inform us.

If you are awarded a medical priority you will be placed into band B. Usually a medical priority is awarded for a type of property, not for specific areas of the city. For example, you may be given a medical priority for accommodation all on one level.

Occupational Therapy assessment

You may be awarded a medical priority if an Occupational Therapist has assessed that your current home does not meet your needs and you require re-housing into an adapted property.

Mental ill-health and learning disabilities

We can also consider you for a medical priority in exceptional circumstances if you have a learning disability or serious mental health problems. If this applies to you, please provide information from the professional(s) involved (such as psychiatrists or support workers) confirming the situation and why re-housing is required.

Other issues

If you have any other issues or circumstances that are not detailed here, you should discuss them with your local neighbourhood housing office who will be able to offer you advice on relevant agencies and other council departments that may be able to assist you, such as the Antisocial Behaviour Team, the Domestic Abuse Partnership and many others.

Contact us

Hull City Council
PO Box 15

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017