Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Council and democracy > Elections and voting > [ Electoral register ]
Elections and voting
Eligible countries 
Inspect the register 
Register on the electoral register 
Registering anonymously 
 See also
Voting in person
Voting by post
Voting by proxy

Electoral register

Household enquiry forms

Every residential property in Hull has been sent a household enquiry form as part of the annual canvass. This is to make sure the Electoral Register is as up to date as possible when it is published on the Thursday 1 December.

If you are already registered you do not need to re register.However we do require a response to this form even if there are no changes.

If you are a new resident at the property add your details to the household enquiry form. Each new occupant (over 16) can individually register themselves below and complete the process.

Please respond to the household enquiry form using the methods listed on the form.

If you need any help please email

Alternatively telephone 01482 300 302.

You can only vote in local, national and European elections if you are registered on the electoral register (also known as the electoral roll).

The electoral register is a list of all the residents in Hull who are eligible to vote at local, national and European elections.

All citizens of Britain, Ireland, European Union and Commonwealth countries should register to vote.

The registration system changed in 2014. Everyone is now responsible for registering themselves. You will need your national insurance number details when you register.

Learn more about Your Vote Matters (link opens in a new window)

Alternatively you can email or telephone 01482 300 302


Students may register at both their home address and their term time university address.

Students can vote in local government elections at both their home and at their term time address, as long as they are not in the same local government area.

Students can’t vote twice in a UK Parliamentary, Scottish Parliamentary, National Assembly for Wales or European Parliamentary election.

Visit About My Vote for more information (link opens in a new window)

How to register or change your details

If you have moved, changed your name, or are not yet registered you can update your details on the electoral register at any point during the year by accessing the link below.

Registering to vote anonymously

If you feel your safety may be at risk if your details were published on the voters list, you can apply to register anonymously.

More information about registering anonymously

Electoral register and credit

If you have been turned down for credit because you are not on the electoral register, the first thing you should do is contact us to check if you are actually registered to vote.

The credit referencing agencies are allowed by law to buy a copy of the electoral register so they can check that people live where they say they are. However, it does take them some time to update their records, so they may not have up to date information.

Electoral register and council tax

If you pay council tax you are not automatically registered to vote, this is because council tax and the electoral roll are separate.

Not all council tax payers are eligible to appear on the electoral roll. For example, this could be due to their nationality. However, some people are exempt from paying council tax but may still register to vote.

Inspecting the register

An updated electoral register is published each year on 1 December. Monthly updates are made to the register up until September.

More information about inspecting the register

Contact us

Electoral services
Hull City Council
Alfred Gelder Street
Map (link opens in a new window)

Tel: 01482 300 302
Fax: 01482 614 804
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017