Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Housing benefit, council tax reduction > Local housing allowance > ...
Local housing allowance
Tenants' money advice 

Local housing allowance direct payment to landlord request

The local housing allowance (LHA) benefit is usually paid to the tenant and having their benefit paid direct to their landlord is not an option they can choose. However, in some circumstances we can decide to pay benefit direct to the landlord.

For instance, we must pay the benefit to the landlord if the tenant is eight weeks or more in arrears with their rent.
We can also take this decision if the tenant is -

  •  likely to have difficulty in managing their financial affairs
  • unlikely or improbable to pay their rent

Who can make a direct payment request?
Tenants, landlords and families or persons acting on behalf of tenants can inform us that the tenant is having difficulty paying their rent or is unlikely to pay their rent.

We may also identify tenants who may have difficulty managing their money, for example, when carrying out home visits. Landlords can contact us if the tenant is getting into arrears with their rent.

Who decides if we may pay the landlord?
We decide if we pay the landlord directly based on prior knowledge by the benefit staff  that someone has difficulty managing their money or from evidence made in a request for direct payments to the landlord. We recommend that, if someone thinks a tenant may have difficulty managing their money, or are unlikely / improbable to pay their rent they encourage the tenant to contact us.

We must have evidence to show that it is in the interest of the tenant that we pay the landlord directly. Evidence should usually be in writing. People who can provide evidence include -

  •  the tenant
  •  friends and family of the tenant
  •  the landlord
  •  welfare groups (including money advisers)
  • Social Services
  • probation officers
  • Jobcentre Plus
  • The Pension Service
  • homeless charities/organisations
  • Supporting People teams
  • local / council rent deposit scheme administrators, homelessness or housing advice officers.

We will work with the tenant in making our decision.

Making a decision
Once we have collected evidence we will decide as quickly as possible if direct payments to the landlord are appropriate. We can in some circumstances pay the landlord for up to eight weeks while we are making our decision.

We will write to the tenant and explain our decision. We will also write to the landlord.

Reconsiderations and appeals
If the tenant or landlord disagrees with our decision they can ask us to look at the decision again and reconsider giving reasons why they think the decision is wrong. If the decision remains unchanged you can appeal against this.

Money advice
Some of you may need help or advice on how to manage your money.

Find out more about managing your money

Making a request for a LHA payment direct to the landlord
Complete one of the following forms that best relates to you and return it to the below address.

If you are a tenant or the tenant's representative -

If you are a tenant and would like to give consent to housing benefits to contact and inform third parties on your behalf -

If you are a landlord -

Guidance notes to complete both direct payment to landlord request forms can be downloaded below -

Hull City Council Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 128

Please note - the information on this page is a guide only and your individual legal rights may be dependant upon your circumstances. While we have tried to make sure that this information is correct at the date of publication, it is possible that there may be changes and we will endeavour to keep you up to date with the latest information.

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017