Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Council and democracy > Feedback or getting involved > Customer feedback > ...
Children's services complaints
 See also
Complaints procedure
What can and cannot be complained about

Social services complaints procedure - how to complain

You can complain –

  • verbally to any employee of our children and young people’s services
  • in writing to the complaints manager, either by letter or using a complaints card. Cards can be found in most children and young people’s offices
  • by phone to the complaints manager
  • by email to the complaints manager
  • by text to the complaints manager

Who can complain

  • any child or young person (or a parent of his or someone who has parental responsibility for him) who is being looked after by us or is not looked after by us but is in need
  • any foster carer
  • children leaving care
  • special guardians
  • a child or young person (or parent of his) to whom a special guardian order is in force
  • any person who has applied for an assessment
  • any child or young person who may be adopted, their parents and guardians
  • persons wishing to adopt a child
  • any other person whom arrangements for the provision of adoption services extend
  • adopted persons, their parents, natural parents and former guardians such other persons as the local authority consider has sufficient interest in the child’s or young person’s welfare to warrant his representations being considered by them

We have the right to decide whether or not a person making a complaint on behalf of a child is suitable to do so or has sufficient interest in the child’s welfare. Sometimes an adult will make a complaint that relates to a child but is not made on the child’s behalf.  We will decide whether, in these cases, the adult has sufficient interest in the child’s welfare to justify their own complaint being considered.

Guides for young people about how to make a complaint and how they can get help if they have a problem are available to download below -

Contact us

Complaints manager
Brunswick House
Strand Close
Beverley Road
Map (link opens in a new window) 

Tel: (01482) 616143

Local Government Ombudsman
Advice Team
PO Box 4771

Tel: 0845 6021983
Fax: 024 7682 0001


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017