Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Housing benefit, council tax reduction > [ Local housing allowance ]
Housing benefit, council tax reduction
Calculating LHA 
Direct payment request 
Number of rooms 
 See also
Homeless advice
Housing benefit
Change in circumstances
 Web links
Community Legal Advice Centre
Credit Union

Local Housing Allowance

If you are a private tenant renting a property or a room in Hull from a private landlord and you are on a low income, you may be able to claim and receive Local Housing Allowance (LHA).

LHA is based on the LHA rate for the number of bedrooms that a household needs (to a maximum of four), not the number of rooms in your property or the rent you are charged. The rates are reviewed by the valuation service annually every April.

Find out about how Housing Benefit is paid 

Find out the current LHA rates and how much you could get

Who can claim

You may be entitled to LHA if you are -

  • below pension age, on a low income (you may qualify even if you do not receive any other benefits) and have savings and capital less than £16,000

  • of pension age, on a low income and have savings that are less than £16,000 or receive pension credits (as your income, savings and capital would have already been worked out by The Pension Service)

and you -

  • are making a new claim as a private tenant

  • have changed your address to a private rented home

  • are already a private tenant who is receiving housing benefit and have had a break in their claim of at least one benefit week

Find out how to apply for local housing allowance

Please note -

Benefit Cap

  • applies to people who have not reached the qualifying age for state pension credit; it is a limit on the total amount of benefit you can receive when you are not working
  • is worked out by adding together income from benefits. Where the total exceeds £500 per week for lone parents or couples with or without children, or £350 per week for single adults, Housing Benefit is capped (reduced) by the excess amount

Discover more information about the Benefit cap (link opens in a new window)

Should you make a claim

You can find out if you should claim by using the benefits calculator below -

More information about calculating your benefit

You do not need to apply to Hull City Council if you made a claim for housing benefit when you applied to -

  • Jobcentre Plus for income support, job seekers allowance or employment and support allowance.  Jobcentre Plus will send us all the information you gave them so we can process your housing benefit. If you have not yet received a decision from the Jobcentre Plus they can be contacted free on 0800 055 6688
  • The Pension Service for pension credits, the Pension Service will send us all the information you gave them so we can process your housing benefit. If you have not yet had a decision from the Pension Service they can be contacted free on 0800 991 234.

Please note - If your claim with Jobcentre Plus or The Pension Service was over four weeks ago you should apply directly to us to avoid further delay with your claim.

Find out how to apply for local housing allowance

Contact us

Hull City Council Revenues and Benefits Service
PO Box 15

Tel: 01482 300 303
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017