Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Transport and streets > Road and path maintenance > [ Trees and verges ]
Road and path maintenance

Trees, hedges and verges

How to report a problem

If you have a complaint or allegation regarding tree root related subsidence damage to properties from street trees or any other council owned trees please contact us on 01482 300 300. We will ask you for as many details as possible including -

  • the date the damage started or was first noticed
  • a description of the damage, preferably with a sketch and or photographs
  • copies of all relevant reports and monitoring data

What happens next

All allegations will be fully investigated and where appropriate action will be taken to prune or fell council owned trees adjacent to the building.

If the building is insured it is advisable to contact the insurer who has access to relevant professionals to carry out investigations to determine the cause of damage as this can be due to several causes.

If a tree or hedge is obscurring a road traffic sign please let us know. Please provide an accurate as possible description of the location including street name and adjacent house number / shop name / nearby lamp post number etc. The location will then be inspected and where repairs are necessary the tree or hedge will be cut back.

Parking on verges

Parking on verges and the damage caused by this is fast becoming a problem in the city. Parking on and driving across verges causes damage, which is often unsightly. Please help us keep verges tidy and respect the safety of other highway users by finding somewhere else to park.

You could be prosecuted for causing damage to a verge and if you park on a verge where there are double yellow lines, you are subject to this parking restriction and could receive a parking ticket.

It is also an offence to drive along the footway.

It is difficult to stop verge parking and the installation of preventative measures may only move the problem further up the street.

How to report a problem

To report a problem please contact us on 01482 300 300.

What happens next

On receipt of a report we will inspect any damage within 24 hours and assess the safety of the verge. At this point we will decide whether we need to carry out any repairs and whether anything can be done to prevent future damage.

Contact us

Highways network management
Hull City Council
Festival House
93 Jameson Street

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017