Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Transport and streets > Road and path maintenance > [ Manhole covers ]
Road and path maintenance
 Web links
Highways Agency

Manhole covers

Most manhole covers are the responsibility of utility companies such as Yorkshire Water, Kingston Communications or Transco. Covers in the middle of the road are usually sewer manholes - Yorkshire Water is responsible for these. Other covers will often have the name of the company written on them.

Hull City Council regularly checks all adopted roads and footpaths, including manhole covers. If we find a problem with a cover, we report it to the relevant company - they are then required to respond with a certain amount of time depending on how serious the situation is.

Report a missing manhole cover

To ensure that we can respond immediately to the danger of a missing manhole cover please contact us on 01482 300 300. We will ask -

  • for a description of the manhole cover
  • the nature of the defect
  • its location

What is an adopted road?

A road that is maintained through public money, for example by the council. Some roads are owned privately, and it is the owner's responsibility to take care of them.

We do not inspect the A63/A1033 trunk road (Clive Sullivan Way, Castle Street, Garrison Road and Hedon Road) as these are currently operated by the Highways Agency and their consultants on behalf of the Department of Transport.

If you report a problem with a manhole cover to us, we will inspect it within 24 hours. The highway inspector will decide whether the utility company should take action, and will report it to them if necessary.

Contact us

Streetscene Services
Hull City Council
Stockholm Road Depot
Stockholm Road
Map (link opens in new window)

Tel: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017