Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Housing > Council housing > [ Council tenancies ]
Council housing

Council tenancies

Tenancy agreement

A tenancy agreement is a binding contract between a tenant and the council. The conditions within it set out the obligations of both parties. All tenants usually sign a tenancy agreement at the start of their tenancy.

If tenants cause or allow others to break the conditions of the tenancy agreement, we will take action and can, as a last resort, obtain a court order to bring the tenancy to an end.


It is a condition of your tenancy agreement to ask for permission if you want to do any of the following -

  • cultivate, fence off or restrict access to any part of a communal area
  • build, construct or place any building or other structure in a communal area
  • plant a tree or plant on the premises which may grow to a height of more than two metres
  • allow somebody to reside in your garden
  • fence off or enclose any part of a driveway
  • store or park a vehicle (including but not limited to cars, trailers, caravans, boats and motorcycles) on the premises, the common parts or communal areas
  • keep a dangerous material or dangerous quantities of a material at the premises. Dangerous materials include (but are not limited to) compressed gas and fireworks
  • use paraffin or petrol heaters, or liquid or bottled gas heaters in the premises
  • use the premises for running or operating a business
  • change the structure of any building at the premises
  • undertake work to the electrical, gas, water or drainage installations
  • erect a shed, pigeon loft, outbuilding or other building
  • erect a CB aerial, television aerial, satellite dish or other radio or telecommunications device
  • construct a hard standing driveway, patio, pond or other permanent feature
  • install laminate or other solid floor covering or fitted furniture
  • apply or install permanent textured coverings or coatings (including but not limited to textured plaster and polystyrene or ceramic tiles)
  • sublet part of your property
  • take in a lodger

To request permission for any of the above, please write to your area housing team.

About our tenancy agreements

Most council tenants have either an introductory or secure tenancy agreement.

If one or more of the tenants are under the age of 18 when their tenancy starts, we will hold the tenancy on trust for them until one of them is 18. At this point the trust will end. If a tenant who is 16 or 17 years old has problems in managing their tenancy we will try to help either directly or by working with other organisations. If the problems become so serious that we consider taking legal action against the young person then we will find another person or organisation to hold the trust and support the young person. If you would like more information about tenancies for people under the age of 18 please telephone 01482 300 300 and ask to speak to a member of your area housing team.

If you are unsure what type of tenancy you have please contact your nearest customer service centre or information point or telephone 01482 300 300.

Tenancy policy

The tenancy policy ensures compliance with the requirements of the council's tenancy strategy and provides a clear and transparent explanation to customers about the tenancies granted by the council.

PDF Icon Tenancy policy 2013 (size: 354.8 Kb)
(link opens in new window)

Introductory tenancy

All new council tenants sign a tenancy agreement for an introductory tenancy (with the exception of existing assured housing association tenants or other local authority secure tenants). Introductory tenancies usually last for 12 months and during this time the tenant must demonstrate that he/she can maintain his/her side of the tenancy agreement. At the end of the 12 months the tenancy automatically becomes a secure tenancy unless a term of the tenancy has been broken, for example rent has not been paid or there has been a complaint about noise or nuisance caused by the tenant, a member of their household or their visitors. If this happens a notice may be served or the tenancy may be extended by a further six months to give the tenant the opportunity to resolve the problem. If a notice is served then this is the first stage of legal proceedings. If the council decides to proceed and seeks a possession order the court has no choice but to grant it. An introductory tenant therefore has less security than a secure tenant.

Secure tenancy

A tenancy automatically becomes secure if there has been no breach of the tenancy conditions during the 12 month introductory period.

Secure tenancies are the most secure form of tenure granted by the council. The council may only obtain possession of a secure tenancy if certain statutory grounds specified in the Housing Act 1985 apply. This includes breach of the tenancy agreement.

You can download a copy of our tenancy agreement below.

To help you to understand our tenancy agreement, we have also produced it in an easy read version. If you have any queries or need help to understand the conditions in the agreement, please speak to your area housing team by telephoning 01482 300 300.

You can download a copy of our easy read tenancy agreement below -

Differences between an introductory tenancy and a secure tenancy

Introductory tenants do not have the same rights as secure tenants. They cannot do the following -

  • mutually exchange
  • buy their home
  • take in lodgers (without permission)
  • carry out improvements to their home

Secure tenants have the right to do the following -

  • mutually exchange
  • buy their home under the Right to Buy Scheme (subject to being a secure tenant for a certain length of time)
  • take in lodgers
  • carry out improvements to their home with written permission from the council

Some tenants have a demoted tenancy.

Find out more about priority neighbourhoods flexible tenancies

Demoted tenancies

When a tenant behaves antisocially, allows a member of their household to behave antisocially, or when there has been unlawful use of the premises, the tenant's tenancy can be demoted. Demotion removes the tenant’s Right to Buy and security of tenure for at least a year.

A social landlord can apply for a demotion order ending the tenant’s existing tenancy and replacing it with a less secure one. If you would like to know more about demoted tenancies please telephone 01482 300 300 and ask to speak to a member of your area housing team.

Independent advice

If you would like some impartial advice about the tenancy agreement you can speak to Hull Advice.

More information about Hull Advice

Ending a tenancy

If you wish to end your tenancy you are required to give four full week’s notice in writing to the council. You should hand your notice in at any customer service centre (CSC) or information point no later than the Monday at the start of your four week notice. If notice is received on any day other than a Monday this means the four week period starts the following Monday. The exceptions to this are if you -

  • are transferring to another council property in Hull
  • are the person who can end the tenancy of a sole tenant who had died
  • have agreed another tenancy end date with your housing officer

Tenants who have flexible tenancies may alo end their tenancy by completing the standard notice form however if it is a joint flexible tenancy written notice must be given by each of the tenants involved. Please contact the relevant area housing team for further advice.

Please note, once notice has been given it cannot be withdrawn. If you have given notice and have a change in circumstances contact your local housing officer to discuss further. Visit any customer service centre (CSC) or information point or telephone 01482 300 300.

Find out where the CSCs and information points are located and their opening times  

How to give notice

It is advised that you give your four full week’s notice to the council by -

  • printing and completing the below notice form and returning it to any information point or customer service centre
  • calling in to an information point or a customer service centre to hand in the completed form or if required ask for assistance in completing it

Find out where the CSCs and information points are located and their opening times 

If you need any help to give notice to end your tenancy you can telephone 01482 300 300 where you will be transferred to your housing office to discuss any specific requirements.

What happens after I have given notice

Once notice has been received your housing officer will contact you to arrange a convenient time to call to inspect your home. During the visit the housing officer will give you advice about

  • any alterations you may have made to your home
  • removing all your furniture, personal belongings and rubbish, (advice will be given on how to appropriately dispose of any unwanted items)
  • making sure the property is in a decent state of décor when you leave
  • making arrangements with you to pay any outstanding rent and other charges at the end of your tenancy.

Where to take the keys once my tenancy has ended

You must hand in all the keys to the property at an information point or customer service centre before 12noon on the Monday of the notice ending date. Failure to do so will mean you may be charged for each full week after the notice end date. If you have any problems in returning the keys please contact your housing officer or telephoning 01482 300 300.

Contact us

Housing Services
Hull City Council
Alfred Gelder Street

Telephone: 01482 300 300
Text phone: 01482 300 349

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017