Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Health and social care > Health and medical advice > [ Mental health ]
Health and medical advice
Young people's mental health 
Mental Capacity Act 2005 
 Web links
Chinese Mental Health Association
Counselling Directory
Humber NHS Foundation Trust
NHS Direct
North Bank Forum
The Royal College of Pyschiatrists

Mental health

If you or someone you care for has long term mental health needs, or needs rapid, intensive support you can get health and social services from your local community mental health service.

The community mental health service in Hull is provided by the council’s social services department and Humber NHS Foundation Trust. Each team within the service has a mixed staff group of psychiatrists, social workers, community psychiatric nurses, occupational therapists and support workers and one manager.

Services that can be provided include -

  • appointments with the consultant psychiatrist
  • working with therapists on life issues
  • medication management
  • help with housing
  • home care and other support services
  • support and home treatment at times of crisis
  • carer support

While it may be possible to get some social care services without involving your GP, you can not receive NHS services from the team without your GP’s knowledge and involvement.

You will not be charged for mental health services provided by the NHS Trust, for example from your psychiatrist or nurse. You may be charged for some services that we arrange for you, such as home care. Please contact us for more information.

How to get help

If you are experiencing mental health problems the first thing you need to do is to contact your GP. Your GP may treat you or, if you need more help than the practice can provide, will refer you to the mental health service.

You can refer yourself to the service by contacting the Humber NHS Foundation Trust's Rapid Response Service team on 01482 301 701, which is available 24 hours a day. They will ask you about yourself and your difficulties and will contact your GP to discuss your referral and how they can help you.

The Rapid Response Service team undertakes an assessment and provides help and support on a short term basis. For those needing longer term support the team will arrange transfer to the appropriate long term team who will provide ongoing support and assist you in making a good recovery.

Contact us

Rapid Response Service
Humber NHS Foundation Trust

Telephone - 01482 301 701
Email -

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017