Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Business > Permits, licences and registration > Gambling Act 2005 > ...
Gambling Act 2005
 See also
Machine categories

Premises licences

A premises licence is required for any premises where it is intended to provide gambling facilities.

The types of licences available from 1 September 2007 will be -

  • casino premises licence - enabling games to be played/staked against a bank and/or where each players’ chances of winning are not equal
  • bingo premises licence - enabling the provision of bingo equipment
  • adult gaming centre premises licence - enabling category B gaming machines to be used at the premises
  • family entertainment centre premises licence - enabling category C gaming machines to be used at the premises
  • betting premises licence - enabling the provision of equipment for betting, by making or accepting bets or by acting as a betting intermediary

The different categories of gaming machines, stakes and prizes can be found on the machine categories page.

An application for a premises licence may only be made by somebody over the age of 18 who has the right to occupy the premises. The applicant must have an operating licence, which allows him/her to carry out the proposed activity, or have at least applied for an operating licence from the Gambling Commission (link opens in a new window).

Except in the case of a dog or horse racing track, premises cannot have more than one of the gambling activities listed above eg a family entertainment centre can not have betting too.

Changing from the Gaming Act 1968 to the Gambling Act 2005

The transitional arrangements page provides further details about what you must do if you hold a current licence/permit and want to continue operating beyond 1 September 2007, when the Gambling Act 2005 comes into force (link opens in a new window).

Application forms and fees

For application fee information.


The below forms are to be used to give notice of your application to Responsible authorities and to the public for certain applications. Please consult the Gambling Act 2005 Regulations for further details (link opens in a new window. You will need to enter 'Gambling Act 2005 Regulations' in the serach field to access the PDF).

Contact us

Licensing section
Hull City Council
33 Witham 

Tel: 01482 300 301
Text phone: 01482 300 349
Fax: 01482 615 554

Contact the Gambling Commission

Tel: 0121 230 6666
Fax: 0121 233 1096

Victoria Square House
Victoria Square
B2 4BP

Map (link opens in a new window)

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint

Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017