Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Transport and streets > Road and path maintenance > [ Dropped kerbs ]
Road and path maintenance
Approved contractors 
Classified roads 
 See also
Pedestrian dropped kerbs - parking enforcement

Dropped kerbs

If you want to take a vehicle across the verge or footway to access your property, you may need a dropped kerb - these are also known as domestic footpath crossings or vehicle crossings.

You will need to get approval or consent from Hull City Council for a dropped kerb.

Works can only be done by contractors who are approved by the council's network management unit. It is an offence for anybody other than an approved contractor to carry out these works.

Domestic footpath crossing

We now allow vehicle crossings to be constructed by a number of approved contractors, through the issuing of a road works permit. 

  • it is important to remember that once a crossing has been constructed it remains part of the highway and we will be responsible for its maintenance. In addition, parking is not permitted on the crossing once it has been constructed 
  • crossings are constructed in tarmac. However, in some instances, other materials may be approved for use 
  • if, after completion of your vehicle crossing, you encounter problems with other vehicles obstructing the access on a regular basis, and this persists over a prolonged period of six weeks or more, you should contact the traffic department by telephoning 01482 300 300 who will advise on any action that can be taken
  • please note it is an offence to construct a domestic footpath crossing without the appropriate approval and roadwork’s permit. To do so may result in prosecution

How to obtain a quotation

Step 1

Download the application form and information pack below -

All requirements listed on the application form need to be met in order for the application to progress.

Step 2

Planning permission

If your crossing is to be constructed on a classified road or in a conservation area, planning permission approval will be required.

List of classified roads

Downloadable PDF of roads in conservation areas -

To obtain a planning application form see here or please ring (01482) 300 300.

Note: Planning approval may be obtained by your chosen contractor on your behalf; if you wish to do this please instruct your contractor to do so when requesting a quotation.

Step 3

Choose your contractor

Send the completed application form to contractors of your choice from the list supplied for a quotation for the works.

Approved contractors list

Note: Some contractors may charge for a quotation.

Step 4

The contractor will obtain planning approval if required/requested and provide you with a quotation for the works. 

The contractor’s quotation will cover the design of the crossing, and all works required in the public highway this could include any diversion of public utilities equipment such as telegraph poles, hydrants, for example, and the relocation/removal of council equipment such as street lights, street trees for example.

  • the contractor will design the crossing in accordance with our vehicle crossing design guide. 
  • on acceptance of the quotation the contractor will require full payment for the crossing in advance of the works. 
  • the contractor will then obtain a permit from us to construct the crossing.
  • on issue of the permit the contractor will be able to advise you of a start date for the works to be carried out.

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017