Hull City Council
You are here: Home > Health and social care > Adult social care > Support for carers > ...
Support for carers
 Web links
Directgov - carer's allowance
Carer's UK
Department for Work and Pensions
Hull Carers Centre

Carer's allowance

Carer’s allowance is a taxable benefit for people aged 16 or over who spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone. The person they care for must be receiving disability living allowance at the middle or highest rate of the care component, or attendance allowance.

How much you receive in carer's allowance

The weekly rate is £53.90. If you get certain other benefits, like the state pension, this amount is reduced. If you get certain other benefits at £53.90 or more a week, you can't get carer's allowance as well.

You might be able to get more money for your partner or someone living with you who looks after your dependent children.

Who is entitled to carer's allowance

You can get carer’s allowance if -

  • you are aged 16 or over
  • you earn less than £95 a week. Money you pay out for things like income tax, some national insurance contributions, half of the money you pay towards a pension, or money you pay for someone to look after the disabled person, or your other children while you are at work, is not counted as income
  • you are not in full-time education (including during holidays)
  • your right to reside or remain in the UK is not subject to limitation or restriction by the Home Office

You can only get one payment of carer’s allowance each week - even if you look after more than one person. If someone else looks after the same person as well, only one of you can claim carer’s allowance. If you stop looking after the person for a short time, for example if you take a holiday or go into hospital, or if the person goes into hospital or respite care, you may still be able to get carer’s allowance, but you should tell the Department for Work and Pensions about it.

How carer’s allowance could affect your other benefits

1. It could affect your other benefits if you get -

  • state pension
  • severe disablement allowance
  • a training allowance
  • unemployability supplement
  • widow's pension or bereavement allowance
  • widowed mother's or widowed parent's allowance
  • war widow's pension
  • maternity allowance
  • industrial death benefit
  • contribution-based jobseeker's allowance

If the person you care for gets a means tested benefit, such as income support or pension credit, your carer’s allowance may affect the amount they receive.

2. If you or your partner gets -

  • income-based jobseeker’s allowance
  • income support
  • pension credit
  • housing benefit
  • council tax benefit

And you claim carer’s allowance, you may get extra money added to the amount you receive. You may still get this extra money if you have claimed carer’s allowance, but cannot get it because you already get one of the benefits in list 1.

How to claim carer's allowance

You can request a claim form over the phone by contacting the Carer's Allowance Unit or your local benefits office.

More information about the Carer's Allowance Unit on the the DirectGov website (link opens in a new window)

Alternatively you can apply online on the Department for Work and Pensions website.

Apply online for carer's allowance on the Department for Work and Pensions website (link opens in a new window)

More information about carer's allowance on the DirectGov website (link opens in a new window)

Contact us

West Hull care management team
Lindsey Place
Arcon Drive
Anlaby  Road
Kingston Upon Hull
Map (link opens in a new window)

East  care management team
Pashby House
James Reckitt  Avenue
Kingston Upon Hull
HU8  7TH
Map (link opens in a new window)

Central care management team
48 Pearson Park
Kingston Upon Hull
Map (link opens in a new window)

Opening times
Monday to Thursday: 8.30am to 5pm
Friday: 8.30am to 4.30pm

Tel: 01482 300 300

Alternatively, please visit any customer service centre.

Go back a pageBack  Go to top of pageTop  Print this pagePrint


The display of third party advertising on this site is not an endorsement or recommendation of any advertiser’s goods or services. The council accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of the advertisements nor the quality of the goods or services supplied.


Find my nearest...

Please enter your postcode

City of Culture logo
Visit the City of Culture 2017 website (link opens in a new window)

Hull City Council, Guildhall, Alfred Gelder Street, Hull, HU1 2AA

Sign up for council news and updates Subscribe to our RSS feedFind out about our Twitter profilesFind out about our Facebook pagesOur Flickr channelsYouTube channels

All Information © Hull City Council  2017